putting in a yard, rake, aerate, seed,fertalize

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by I mow in est, Mar 20, 2010.

1. I mow in est

I mow in est LawnSite Member

well a contractor asked me the other day if i wanted todo it, i got all the equipment, i would need to rent the aerator(100$) a day. he wants me to lightly grade the yard, then aerate, seed and fertilize.. i do not know how big the yard is.... probably 1-2 acres

2. I mow in est

what would any of yall charge?

3. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

I don't get it. This is a new lawn install and you're going to aerate it? And if you've got all of the equipment, why are you renting?

And we're supposed to price it and you don't even know how big it is?

I'd charge 85 to 90 percent more for 2 acres than 1 acre since you're already set up for the first acre.

4. I mow in est

srry this is confusing, i have everything but the aerator, the contractor says he want me to aerate the yard after i grade it, so the seed / fert. dont run off... ive never put in a yard before so thts y im askin...

5. Darryl G

If I were you'd I'd start out doing some spot repairs and small renovations first before trying a whole new lawn install, and I've never aerated to do a lawn install nor heard of anyone doing it.

I'd do a search and read up a bit here before even considering this any further. There's more to it than a lot of people realize.

6. I mow in est

i do seed n fertalize alot , and i have aerated plenty of yards, but i have never gradedd a yard b4, i also dont charge much for things, but since this is a contractor i could charge more , as in i normaly charge 15$ to seed and fertalize. the owner buys the materails i spread them. then when i aerated i charged 50$ per acer.... so i do stuff for dirt cheap... but to grade a yard . i have not done... its already loose dirt.... i really have no idea to charge... and how to charge

7. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

I think maybe you should just let someone with some expirience handle this one. You obviously have no clue where to start.

8. Darryl G

Your pricing is insane. I woudln't even show up to a job for $15.

You need to go look at the job and measure the area at least, take some pictures. Are you planning to hand rake 2 acres yourself? Good luck with that. Are you going to need a tractor and York rake or a skidder with Harley rake? You need to do your homework before you come here asking for help. And the aerating idea is just plain weird if this is bare soil.

9. I mow in est

well im only 16 and have been doin this for only 3 years, i mainly mow ,do mulch, havent put in a yard, n the contractor knows me cuse i live right next to him so he know how i do my work... and i just aerated his place and got to seed n fertalize for him, got to start somewhere... i started wit r lil new holland tractor, then got a commercial ZTR now got a commercial ZTR, and r JD tractor.... i know how to run equipment, i just dont know wht to charge.... runing it is not a problem.... we had r commercail mower for a mounth in the summer and put 100 hours on it, then are new holland tractor had 600 hours on it, and weve had are new tractor since friday and ive already put 15 hours on it...

10. I mow in est

i got a tractor, i have a 74" frount loader, and rear blade, and rake for the rear 3 pt hitch for grading, then i have a rear pto broadcast spreader for the tractor as well.... i charge 15$ to seed cuse it takes me five minutes to load the seed/ fertaizer and spread it, and the guy lives within a minute away drivin with the tractor.... literaly thts y i didnt charge 60$, plus he had the seed n fertalizer....

im just woundering wht yall charge for example to grade, seed, fertilize, forget the aerating it was his idea not mine, i cant take the rear rake and rake it side ways with the hill if hes worried about it running off

wht would you chage per 10,000 Sq feet to grade, seed, fertilize