1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Putting Mower in gear on trailer?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CHLANDSCAPE11, Jun 9, 2007.

CHLANDSCAPE11 LawnSite Member

Will it ruin the tranny if you put your mower in gear on your trailer to prevent it from moving backwards I have a lesco 48 Wb belt drive. Do most guys just use 2x4s and keep it in Neutral? INputs would be great
  2. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

Tranny can handel it but you should strap the dam mower down so you dont kill any one in a accident.
  3. IA_James

IA_James LawnSite Silver Member
    from Iowa

I leave it in gear, and tie it down. I'm going to go with heavier tie downs though, the ones I have aren't hacking it.
  4. RedMax Man

RedMax Man LawnSite Platinum Member

Get a pair of Fast Straps
  5. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

I strap all my mowers in. My gear drive mowers are left in gear when they are on the trailer.
  6. johnnywill08

johnnywill08 LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA z6

not supposed to leave it in gear on the trailer.... just ask my 36 " that had its tranny replaced... the little "fingers" in the tranny that engage each gear can break or round off over time. i used to leave it in gear, but no more... straps or a pro-locker are the way to go.
  7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

ALWAYS engage it in gear when transporting. I've never heard of tranny failure due to transporting in gear. This may have just been a fluke,..and damaged or defective from something else. Like I say,...in all the years, I have never heard of this happening.
  8. Eric D

Eric D LawnSite Senior Member

Leaving the trans in gear is fine. The loads the gears would see are far less then when you are cutting. I agree with Joe that you must of had some other damge going on that caused your failure Johnny.

As far as strapping down your unit, doing so might even save your own back-side in the case of an accident, let alone others.

Eric D
  9. YukonG

YukonG LawnSite Member

Why not use the parking brake instead of putting it in gear?
  10. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

if you are using straps it shouldn't matter if it's in gear or not. if it's tied it shouldn't go anywhere.