Putting new tires on and changing tubes in front wheels on Scag

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TurtleCreekL&L42, Jun 7, 2011.

1. TurtleCreekL&L42

TurtleCreekL&L42 LawnSite Member

I got one flat back tire and one front flat caster wheel. I bought two new tubes for the front and new tires for the back. Im trying to save money and do it myself. Anyone know if putting a tire on a rim for a ZTR and replacing the tubes for the front is easy enough for garage work?

2. TheOctagon

TheOctagon LawnSite Senior Member

It's not too bad at all. Only problem is without proper tools you will find yourself poking your tubes with screwdrivers you will most likely use to mount the tire and have to end up buying more tubes. By the time you are done it will end up costing more. I would say in your case remove the rims and tires from the mower and take them to a tire shop. Let them do that work and bring them back and install them on the mower yourself. You will save a little money that way and if a tube is poked its their ass not yours.

3. weapons of grass destruction

weapons of grass destruction LawnSite Member

I would use slime first.
    If the hole is not to big works well.
    And for the little tire take your time with it should be easy.
    As far as putting the tire on.
    My friend told me about a special tool to use has like a spoon end made specially for the job.
    And yes it might be easier to take it to a shop.

4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

There's a couple of videos for the back tire on Youtube, although I have a tire mounting device and some tire irons but
    I believe all you need is a couple of hairy screwdrivers and a vise grips, the video was definitely helpful.

This guy:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75nQulNhX7g
    He's really good, I can't say for sure if you'll get it down as good as he is lol

5. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Why do you have tubes in the front tires?

6. scagman52

scagman52 LawnSite Senior Member

Never use tubes. The tires are tubless so just plug them. If they will not hold plugs then buy new tires.

7. johnroscoe

johnroscoe LawnSite Member

Go solid on the fronts, it's worth it!

8. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I go down and use the shops tire mounting device and just give them a few bucks cash. Most of these tires are NOT going very easy.

9. Daily Lawn/Landscape

Daily Lawn/Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

What mower is it on? I have 2 brand new flat free front tires w/ rims for a scag I will sell you. They are just collecting dust in the shop.

James

10. scagman52

scagman52 LawnSite Senior Member

daily lawn...what are you asking? will the fit a tiger cub? are they complete with bearings? Thanks