putting on a new mower blade

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Clear-Cut, Feb 23, 2007.

1. Clear-Cut

Clear-Cut LawnSite Senior Member

im putting on a new blade for my craftsman 21" push mower...

do i need to bring it to service place to get the blade balanced or shold it be ok considering it is for residential use?

is there a way to tell if it is balanced myself..because i dont really think it is worth bringing it all the way to the dealer just to get the blade balanced...
  2. RedMax Man

RedMax Man LawnSite Platinum Member

If it's new then it should not need balancing. Only after it has been sharpened many times then it might need it. I don't get the blade balanced for my 21" when they're brand new.
  3. Clear-Cut

thanks redmax
  4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Actually, when they are first purchased, many of times they are so far out of balance that they never end up that far out again - after they are balanced. I've never seen a brand new blade that is balanced...ever.
  5. PTP

PTP LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

Take the blade and hang it on a nail by the middle hole. The side that points down is the heavy side. Remove a little bit of material and then try it again. Repeat this until the blade is balanced.

This won't get it perfect but it will do pretty good - better than it comes out of the box.
  6. Clear-Cut

thanks runner and ptp...

so ptp..ur saying put the middle hole on a nail in the wall and do it that way?
  7. PowerEquipmentWarehouse

PowerEquipmentWarehouse LawnSite Member

Hi JM L&L,

Another good way to check for balance on mower blades is a blade balancing tool, click on the link below and parts search 42-047. This tool works really well! Thanks Jay