1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Putting out outdated flyers?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by outrunjason, Jan 29, 2004.

1. outrunjason

outrunjason LawnSite Senior Member
    from dallas

I have about 3,000 old flyers some rolled and some not rolled. By being old- they were going to be put out during the fall season. It has regular rates for service but has a coupon on it for a Fall Clean-up, with an experation date of like December 1st.

So, the question is. I don't want to waste the flyers. I would still honor the coupon for a clean-up. But are people going to just look at it and say this is out of date or would they call anyway and ask since they did just get it? Also would it be unprofesional to put the outdated ones out?

I honestly don't care but don't want to waste my time if they are not going to do anygood.

Thanks, Jason
  2. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Can you use them this fall. I think most would see the date and trash them. JMO

3. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

I don't think it would be too appealing....would you consider buying expired milk??
  4. Zach76

Zach76 LawnSite Member

As long as there's not a year listed, save them for this fall. I agree with jajwrigh that if it says Dec 1, 2003 it would be tacky to try to use them.
  5. twins_lawn_care

twins_lawn_care LawnSite Senior Member

I think that is going to be the consensus, but here is a different point of view.

If you did pass them out, and lost one job because they were old, and tacky, how much would that cost you? Probably a lot more than the flyers cost.

Just trash them and make some new ones. Then, this time, pass them all out, no matter what.
  6. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I would just trash them.
  7. WeatherMan

WeatherMan LawnSite Senior Member

put them in file 13
  8. outrunjason

outrunjason LawnSite Senior Member
    from dallas

These sure weren't the answers I was looking for. I figured that is what I would here. But February is kinda early to start putting out flyers so I thought mabye I could just put them out and see what happens and then wait till late Feb to early March to put out the more updated flyers.

9. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi OutrunJason,

If you have time to put these out and don't mind that they are outdated, you could take the view point that at least you are getting your name out and that's a positive.
  10. twins_lawn_care

twins_lawn_care LawnSite Senior Member

True Gopher, but...

If you are putting out outdated flyers with your name out there, people may associate outdated stuff, with your business name.

This is the kind of association I would think you would try to stay away from.

I would want to keep promoting

latest, cutting edge, on top of things company things.

Especially since how much money are we talking about losing here?

How much cost can you be losing on some left over flyers?

Just some thoughts.