Putting price in flyer?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jmartmel, Feb 5, 2001.

1. jmartmel

jmartmel LawnSite Member

Just wondering how many think it is a good idea to put in your flyer the prices of your service for the different full service packages you offer? For example, targeting subdivisions that you know well and want more work in. There are several in this area that are basically all the same type yards, thinking of putting the prices in the flyers for services(package A: mow,trim,edge $140 monthly(weekly service) ect ect, package B(well you get the idea)! This I'm thinking would cut down on calls from people who just want some cheap price, and save on time spent going and giving estimates. Thoughts?

P.S this is my first post but have spent alot of time learning from the best site I have found out there! Thanks

2. JVS

JVS LawnSite Member

My 2 cents- I would market it with all the smatlz you create but I would not lock myself into a price ON A FLYER. The idea of the flyer is to get the call -then make your sale form there and you can weed out he time wasters.
    MAYBE YOU CAN CAN ALL THE THINGS LIKE AFFORDABLE ETC...

Joe

3. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

If you feel that you have a pretty good idea about what the other contractors in your area are charging for their services to those homes you want to target with your advertising, then it might not be a bad idea.

If you are not sure about what the going rate is, then I would suggest using dollar discounts instead of prcing to attract prospective clientel. You could try giving away One Free Mowing with 3 or more @ regular prices/ $15 off Spring Clean-Up/ $10 off Aerations etc.

Welcome aboard.
    Kris

4. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

I would only put prices in if that is a major
    selling point of your service.In other word
    are ye cheap

5. Strawbridge Lawn

Strawbridge Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

I am distributing 2 types of flyers this year. One is front and back which indicates and guarantees a price within a specific price range(EX: $19-23, $24-27$, $28-31). Actual price will be determined by estimate. Again, the developments here allow for this type of rough estimate for 99% are 8-15K SQ FT most with 4-8K SQ FT of turf. Averages $4-5 p/1K Sq FT. The other flier is smaller and more general without the price range (advance estimate) on it.

Strawbridge Lawn & Landscape

6. Jason Pallas

Jason Pallas LawnSite Bronze Member

We do a flyer that is HUGELY successful that lists price. We list it as "Weekly lawn service prices starting at...." This seems to weed out a lot of bargin hunters and when you give an estimate that is higher, it also gives you an opportunity to explain why to the customer (there's more trimming, edging, have to use smaller mower in some areas, etc..).

7. I think a line line "complete monthly lawn service starting at $99 per month" would draw more interest for one to pick up the phone and make contact vs. a flyer w/no pricing.

Again the flyer is used to obtain a point of contact. If you get no contacts you make no money.

Also any time you have heavy advertising in play make sure you have a live operator answering your phone. What I have done in the past is forward my calls to a live answering service for about $80/month.

I am a big fan not using and all year advertising like the phone book but to use direct mail, newspaper inserts to specific areas, and a daily classified ads only for a few months in the early spring.

This way you are only "selling" 2 months a year and for the rest of the season you can just concentrate on the work you booked.

8. jmartmel

jmartmel LawnSite Member

Yes this is what i am talking about! I think it may be better to place the price in the packages you are offering. There are just too many people who call and expect you to come over and give an estimate: They expect full service 4 cuts a month for $15 a cut, this is crazy and wastes to much time, that could be spent on getting real business! I wont go under 35 per cut for the subdivisions I plan on targeting this year. By saying in the flyer Gold package: (list the services)$140 per month, platinum package: (list services) $160 per month. It weeds out the bad ones looking for cheap cuts. Its not like these flyers are going on windsheilds of cars at the mall where you have no idea of the lot size or obstacles. Newr subdivisions here a basically all the same size level yards well the ones I will be delivering too! The rates are competitive and also could get customers who thought they could never afford lawn service cause they have absolutley no idea of costs! I am getting 5000 colored flyers printed this weekend and think I will try it out and see what happens. Plus there are so many extras you can add on to these new customers like gutter cleaning and possibly snowplowing in winter if I choose. This is great site for kicking around different ideas.

9. TGCummings

TGCummings LawnSite Senior Member

I'm partial to the idea of putting in the "starting at $xx!" line myself. I haven't done any flyers to date, but this would seem to be the best way not to pigeonhole yourself into a price, while weeding out the cheapskates at the same time.

Good luck!

-TGC

10. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

Stone

Although they are having their name/phone# taken by an answering service is it not the same thing as an answering machine because the "live" operators cannot answer their questions?? Would it not be better to say hire someone to answer the phones at the office??

I realize that some might be doing as I did when I first started out and that was put my office in my daughters bedroom because it was warmer than the shed and the only available spot in our home to do the work. I like the concept though of dealing with people rather than computers.

Kris