1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

putting signs up for a realtor?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by grass disaster, Jan 6, 2005.

1. grass disaster

grass disaster LawnSite Silver Member

i have received a message on my phone from a realtor agency that i cut lawn for.They were wondering if i would be interested in putting up sign for them. that was all they mentioned, i have yet to call them back.

what i was wondering is anyone have experience doing this. i wonder how much you think it pays.lastly but not least how do you get those signs in the ground when it's frozen(MN). with an ice auger??

they must think i have nothing better to do in the winter :cool2:
  2. scaglawnsnj

scaglawnsnj LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

go for it charge 25.00 a sign **** i would jump on that a few hours a day couple hundred for beer....suck it up the contract will last longer maybe
  3. i_plant_art

i_plant_art LawnSite Senior Member

it could also be a good way to get a foot in the door with them and many other realators. years ago i did work for one realator and now work for as many as 50 at one point and time throughout the year, as well as got to meet the commercial sales people as well and have a foot in the door with them. it might pay out more in the long run than you would think. at least call them back and check it out. heck it might just be a ploy to see if you will call them back then when u do they want landscape work done just using the sign thing as a decoy to find someone reputable and someone who will rtn calls. i have heard its hard for realators to find good quality contractors in all aspects. so u never know what they are up to .
  4. grass disaster

grass disaster LawnSite Silver Member

i'll have to give them a call. after all it may pay better than cutting their lawn, but i doubt it. payup
  5. DSIM

DSIM LawnSite Senior Member

I was thinking of doing this same thing. I have a couple of realtors that live closeby and was going to call them and inquire about this.

Let me know if you find out how much it pays. thanks.
  6. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

First, I would NEVER work for a realtor EVER! Way too condescending and snobby. MOST of them are anyway. I've never worked for one that did not give me lots of trouble and try to weasle out of payment one way or another. One flat out cussed me out one time after he realized that his client's payment for lawn care was late getting to me (realtor hired me to do the lawn at a vacant house, the realtor was to send the bill to the owner of the house who had moved elsewhere. It was a mistake for me to let him be the middle man though). that was a nightmare, i got some of my money but only about half of it. It wasn't enough to make it worth the trouble of chasing it down and i didn't even want to talk to the guy again for fear I would blow up! Other horror stories too. bottom line is this- I will never work for a realtor unless everything is paid in full in advance of the work being done. And if they write a check they will have to wait for it to be cleared before i begin work! Sorry to stereotype but they have earned it- realtors are, for the most part, the biggest jerks around in my town.

back to the signs- it could be easy and profitable. You wouldn't need the trailer full of gear to do it, so your cost is pretty low. Yeah i'd say $25 a pop unless you gotta drive way out to get to the place. Still I don't trust realtors and I would firmly state that payment must be made in advance (but thats just me, go by your instinct if you want its your hard earned money).

Good luck with this one.
  7. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

If you have the time then yeah do it it may pay off for you in the long run if you are to busy then just tell them you got a lot going on right now.

Take a #5 hammer that might do the trick.
  8. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i do work for one. my wife works there. they have a guy that only puts up signs. i think it is awesome working for them. the reasons: the houses are always vacant, nobody there to make sure u came a certain day, nobody there to complain if u cut corners. i get alot of extras. i hear this sometimes" do whatever you think will make it sell faster." i like it, and always get paid
  9. Del9175

Del9175 LawnSite Senior Member

I do this for a realtor. I get paid $30 to put them up and $30 to take them down. The realtor I do this for sells most of her house's in developments that don't allow these types of signs so I don't really put up to many a year for her. I had considered contacting other offices and trying to work a deal with them, but I have enough other things to do instead.
  10. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

personally if I were in the frozen north, I'd rather ice fish or ride snow mobiles. but I'd also like to eat so I'd return their call.

as for setting the signs (assuming it's a serious question), use a breaker bar to chip out the frozen turf, then set as usual.