1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

putting the pre-emergent to the test?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by grassguy_, Jul 26, 2003.

1. grassguy_

grassguy_ LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

Has your pre-emergent held out this season? I know with all the rain we have gotten the protection is virtually gone and many people have continued to mow at a 1.5 inch height to only make things worse. For the most part the pre-emergent has done fair but wondering how everyone else in the midwest is fairing, Ind. Ill. Oh, Pa, Mi. ?
    We have used pendimethalin, Team, and Dimension.
  2. GLAN

GLAN Banned

It was kinda normal weather where I am at the time of application. But it never warmed up. Then had record amount of rain in 4 weeks and went from 65 degrees to 95.

Some got caught with sprinklers off.

We did a repeat app. some 6 weeks after the first on those that had more of it last year. This year it's showing less. We are pleased with the results this year. Though I know the weather conditions described above had an adverse affect.
  3. Russ

Russ LawnSite Senior Member

Ya Mother put the "Pre-em's" to the test this year. It's been different kind of a year, but so is every year with new challenges. Once again cultural controls have proven to be the best deterrents to the crab and goose. The lawns that are mowed at 3.5 and have adequate N are in good shape showing problems only in hot spots, along the driveway etc. Those who are mowing below 3" are a different story. I used both Dimension and Team this year and I gotta tell ya the Dimension did a better job for me. But I also have to say even the beds where I used Snapshot have more weed pressure than I have seen before.
  4. grassguy_

from Ohio

Russ, gotta agree with you on the bed pre-emergents. Doesn't mattter what was applied early or late the Treflan, and Snapshot haven't persisted long enough I have noticed the dimension has probably done a little better at holding out than the team and pendi, but either way the crabgrass is battling back hard. I'm still looking for the homeowner that will agree to mow at 3-3.5". All my neighbors around me never agreed with me and cutting so high, now they all cut at my height, they figured how bad their lawns were looking and gave in.
  5. rob1325

rob1325 LawnSite Senior Member

We had a ton of rain this year here. I used dimension .15 its been ok, but getting more crabgrass than last year, which was a dry and hot year. I think the dimension leached out due to all the rain we have been having here. Even the few lawns where we did double back to back apps of dimension have crabgrass.
  6. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

I have been using Pendi. I done split apps.,just like always, last year and this year as well, crabgrass is germinating like crazy ever since the first of July. The control is fine for about 6 to 8 weeks, 10 weeks max.......thinking about trying Deminsion next season. So what do I do, but spray the crabgrass, then customers dont like the stressed/yellow areas/spots from MSMA. :confused: I need control until at least September:( ....yeah right.
  7. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

The lawns I used Dimension on are fairing quite well. I noted some crabgrass pressure on the lawns that I used Team Pro on. I feel Demension is well worth the extra price. I have a few curbs, drives and sidewalks (hot spots) w/ break thru's that had Dimension as the preemergent. A little Drive 75 will take care of it. All the rain has washed out the preemergent barrier for sure.
  8. jasond

jasond LawnSite Member

We made two applications of Lesco's Pre-M granular this spring. Once in February and another in April. Due to the rain, we are experiencing problems with crabgrass, nutsedge, and are now starting to see broadleaf emerge.

Our solution has been to apply the Dimension product (0-0-8) in order to help prevent infestations during the next two months. The product shows a barrier protection of 120 days, so we will be seeding the lawns which have had the problems in the mid-October timeframe.

As for crabgrass, Drive 75 is our solution. Mixed with 3 way and a tackifier, it is covering a wide sprectrum of weeds. If the customer cannot stand the nutsedge, then we apply Manage with tackifier to eradicate the nutsedge the best we can.

Note: we had experimented with Quiksilver, which is supposed to act as a accelerator for 3 way. It spotted/burned the areas we sprayed. We have also had a huge brown patch problem back in late June/early July.
  9. grassguy_

from Ohio

In my opinion you'd would be better to opt out of using the MSMA and get some Drive. It might cost slightly more but actual cost and control, its the best without having the burn stress of MSMA.
    The Team Pro has definitely faded into oblivion with the rain you and I have been getting. Dimension has faired well even though we have to expect some escapes. I think part of the reason for some escapes too is that the soil profiles of some of these lawns are predominantly sandy loams, nothing holds very long. those with the clay loams have been better.
    You definitely have a bigger battle in your area. I've been considering trying the quicksilver but actually think i'll wait till cooler fall conditions. The 0-0-8 w/ dimension is that a lesco mix or someone else?
  10. jasond

jasond LawnSite Member

yes, it is a lesco product. The packaging looks much like the Pre-M bag, but is labeled different. The granular is much different in appearance, which I like. (The PREM is so oily with the pendimethalene) The disadvantage is that the price per bag is higher. I have basically informed the clients that are uneasy with crabgrass that a seventh treatment will be necessary this year. We normally do six. Two pre-m with high/medium nitro in the spring, iron, lime, fall/starter, then winter w/pre-m. THis year we are applicating extra in between the iron/lime timeframe.