Putting the rubber 'bumpers' on trimmer trap racks!?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jason Rose, Mar 10, 2008.

1. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Ok, I'm not new to putting on handle grips or the rubber sleves that come with the trimmer trap racks. I know that hairspray is the best thing in the world for this... But I have met my match with this rack!

This is the ST-2 for the Stihl Br500, 550, 600 blowers. Just arrived today. Iv'e fought for 15 minutes trying to get this one, of two, sleeves on here and I give up! :dizzy: Iv'e tried warming them up with hot water (as per the instructions) tried hairspray but I thought maybe it needed something slipperier, so I tried dish soap, that's slick as snot, and it still won't slide on there! I just dont see how it could go on there around that 90 degree bend... I'm about " this close to just cutting them short and calling it good...

Anyone else have any success with these??? :hammerhead:

[​IMG]

2. LawnGuy73

LawnGuy73 LawnSite Bronze Member

Did you try soaking them in hot soapy water, I haven't had Trimmer Traps for a few years but I think thats what I used when I had them.

3. PearceLawn

PearceLawn LawnSite Senior Member

This is the thing I did. Hot water makes them flexible and the soap makes them slippery.

4. Scagguy

Scagguy LawnSite Bronze Member

Try double sided golf tape with grip solvent. If that doesn't work, I don't know what will.

5. clord

clord LawnSite Member

Brought one last year, hate to say but spit in tube worked well for me.:eek:

6. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Besides the fact thaty I said in my first post that I DID try warming them up with hot water, using hairspray, and then ivory liquid soap...

I finally had to grind the ends of the pegs to make them smooth and round. they were just basically cut and pretty sharp on the edges. Once I did that, and used some FLUID FILM as lube, and then needle nose pliers to PULL on them as I pushed, I was finally able to fight them on there! If it wasn't for grinding the ends smooth, there was no way they would have ever fit though.

At least it's mounted on the trailer now with the blower locked in secure. I feel a lot better with the $500 blower on that rack, it's not going to berak the handle off and go tumbling down the road now.

7. clord

clord LawnSite Member

Just a little heads up, all the trouble you went thru trying to put on the rubber bumpers will seem like a waste because within a few weeks or months depending on how much driving you do the rubber will wear down quickly back to bare metal. I'm only part time and don't do much driving and mine wore down so much I am using black electrical tape to hold them on and getting ready to just remove them alltogether. Due to the springs on the blower it shakes and vibrates on the mount so much I wrap a bungee around it to ease the shaking a little.

8. greenbaylawns

greenbaylawns LawnSite Senior Member

How about some FLUID FILM. Got my can

9. LawnGuy73

LawnGuy73 LawnSite Bronze Member

Yup.... Good point, I also forgot that.