putting together a rig

Discussion in 'Power Washing' started by stevenf, Jul 6, 2010.

1. stevenf

stevenf LawnSite Bronze Member

Winter is around the corner and I am throwing around the thought of trying to fill my schedule with power washing.
    I have had an interest in this for quite some time but just recently have noticed the demand.
    I have a 4x8ft trailer. Was considering buying a 55 gallon blue drum for small jobs that have no water access. I have a small commercial client base from my lawn and landscape business. Most jobs would be real estate houses/driveways and commercial walk ways and metal roofing.

I want a small setup just to get me started. After a year or so I will determine if this is working out. I know you guys shy away from home owner brands but what would you recommend as the minimum?

2. Propowerwash

Propowerwash LawnSite Senior Member

If your just talking cold water a home onwer unit with a General Pump is good.

If I wanted the best a landa Unit.

Try www.evirospec.com for off brand units that are pretty good.

www.pressurewashinginstitute.com have more info if you take a look.

3. FCPWLLC

FCPWLLC LawnSite Senior Member

4. Propowerwash

Propowerwash LawnSite Senior Member

5. stevenf

stevenf LawnSite Bronze Member

With a unit like that, can you just hook it up to a tank? The tanks dont have as much pressure as a outdoor faucet has. Do I need to worry about a pump of some sort?

What general purpose chemical do you guys use on pavement and metal without affecting grass?

6. FCPWLLC

It will pull water from a tank just fine. No pump needed to feed unit.

Bleaches for mold/mildew. Acids for rusts. Really too broad of a question for a really good answer.

7. Lawncutting27

Lawncutting27 LawnSite Senior Member

Would a 3600 psi with almost all the other specs the same be sufficient?

I'm thinking of adding the service but I don't want to buy a useless machine or one that makes house cleaning and concrete cleaning more difficult then it needs to be.

8. FCPWLLC

Try to get belt drive if possible. They pull water from tank better. Lower rpm takes bigger gulps of water.

9. Lawncutting27

Lawncutting27 LawnSite Senior Member

This might seem like a silly question fcpwllc, I'm not sure if I was reading between the lines or I missed something or, perhaps I just have pure water systems on the mind right now but, do you use DI Resin tanks or some such set up to make pure water to rinse vinyl siding?

I was wondering because you mentioned high volume rinse and water coming out of those DI tanks can be rather expensive especially if the water going in is poor quality.

10. Pat Konen

Pat Konen LawnSite Member

I have one of these machines as well.... 4 gpm, 4000 psi, the General Pump is good. I had to get this portable machine when I started soft washing some condos that had no access for my trailer. You dont have to have a tank with this pump since your water source should put out at least 4 gpm.