1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

putting together a rules list for clients

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by environment, Nov 26, 2004.

1. environment

environment LawnSite Member

looking for ideas of what rules are worth setting for clients, i have notices about late payments and such, but what else, im trying to come up with a nice way to say pick up your poop or be charged, and trying to really think of as many scenarios as possible
  2. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

Better include the kids toys with the dog doo and garden hoses, extension cords, boat oars and what ever other obstacles you can think of. Also put in a come back latter or skip this week clause that triple charges them. Everybody seems to be posting about those topics lately. Seriously though you might want ot include something about keeping kids and pets indoors while you work. Only takes a second for disaster.
  3. K.Carothers

K.Carothers LawnSite Bronze Member

How about the cost for the customers therapy session. I swear I have customers sit at the window and wait for us to show up then run outside and talk our ears off. I know it comes with the territory but if every customer did this, your talking about hrs of lost productivity!
  4. s and s mowing

s and s mowing LawnSite Member
    from ky

dont worry,bobby be along soon,this is his specialty
  5. bettergrass

bettergrass LawnSite Member

im including something next year about when a substantial amount of leaves are down, we stop cutting the grass and it turns to a fall cleanup which a proposal will be presented for.

people seem to think that its fine just to go run them over and have them be shot out and i refuse to do that. for one it looks bad and 2 all it does is just cuts a little peice off each leaf, in some cases nothing off, and then it shoots them out.
  6. lafrance4078

lafrance4078 LawnSite Member

I agree with out4now, make sure you put somthing in there about people being around you while you are mowing or trimming or anything. Also the water hoses. I ran over a piece of rebar last week. It was not there the week before that. I will be charging them for a new blade.
  7. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

I personally don't like the idea of contracts for my residential customers, much less a rules list to add on the contract. It would scare me off if I was a homeowner and called someone to take care of my property and they handed me a binding contract to sign a long with a bunch of rules to follow. It really should be the other way around, they are hiring us so they should make the rules. I think it goes without saying, safety should be one of our biggest concerns, but a little common sense should go without saying on the customers end, and if they don't have the common sense to get out of your way when you are there working then that would be the time to say something to them. I don't know about you all but 90% of my customers aren't even home when we are at their house, so it isn't even a problem.
  8. DuallyVette

DuallyVette LawnSite Gold Member

If you mention their dog poop...they may well be offended. They will think you are EVIL for not appreciateing the little presents their precious family member left you. Too much poop...I just quit...Doesn't fit my customer profile.

20 years ago a condo owner came out and introduced herself as head of the grounds committee ( 8 unit condo ) She came out 3 weeks in a row wanting to discuss the lawn. No budget for improvements, so why waste my time. I told her if there was a problem to call me in the evening. If she wanted to come out and discuss the same nothing every week...wave a $20.00 bill and I would keep her company for 20 minutes. Never saw her again. I've had that contract since 1978.

Bottom line...dont make a list of negatives. Deal with problems as they occur. I have few problems and many customers that I've never met in person.
  9. bettergrass

bettergrass LawnSite Member

i actually was thinking about not doing a contract myself next year. but still typing out bullets on ms word of things to discuss when they accept my proposal. just some reminders of how we do buisness not anything seirous.

i do agree if you put a bunch of late fee penaltys and other stuff on a homeowner they might get freaked out even if they do plan to pay. i really dont think there is to many customers that are honestly going to stiff you. there is some but you can usually tell right away when you meet them if they are going to.
  10. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I disagree.... I for one can't walk a property, scoop poop, relocate lawn furiture or toys, pick up sticks, trash and other debris without being compensated once it reaches a certain point.

For properties where I expect a certain amount of debris management, I add some $ to the proposal to cover a general amount of time and volume of debris which is considered normal or expected.

For every one that I can meet with a 'person' at signing, I make and appointment to go in and explain my company policies, which they sign off on. In that is a general blanket statement reguarding 'debris'. I go over it and explain that 'debris' means....

"Everything from dog poop to hula hoops. If it's in the lawn or landscape, it has to be moved or removed. Time is money and if it takes me an excess amount of time I have to charge an excess amount of money."

Then I give examples of minor things I will not charge for, and several examples of what I will charge for, how I will bill it, and when payment will be due. When I'm done we have mutual understanding.