Putting together an estimate

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by CSRA Landscaping, Jul 21, 2001.

1. CSRA Landscaping

CSRA Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

I need some help here, guys. I need to submit a proposal for a job that will include installing the following, and have to know what all it would include in the way of equipment, so that I don't miss anything. Your input in greatly appreciated.

7 Shumard oaks, 2-3" cal.
    2 Keith Davey Pistachios, 2-3" cal.
    3 Little Gem magnolias, 2-3" cal.
    4 Carolina #2 American Hollies, 2" cal.
    3 October Glory Red Maples, 2" cal.
    9 Eastern Red Cedars, 1" cal.
    54 Nick's compact junipers, 5 gal.
    80 India Hawthornes, 3 gal.
    95 Flowering Jasmines, 3 gal.

It's the trees that give me pause, I haven't really done any tree installs yet, and I understand that 3" is pretty big. Thank again, guys n gals!

2. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

Jeff... how are you digging the tree holes? Don't forget all your costs...stakes , wire , hose , fert , soil etc. How much are the trees costing you?.. Generally we get around $350.00 a calliper tree (around 2.5 inch). It is really tough to ask the "cost question" because everyone's costs of material and running there business are different. I planted one mountain ash(3in) for a customer last week and charged them $400.00...My cost for the tree was $150.00 (bought from our own tree farm). Good luck on the quote and keep us posted.

3. CSRA Landscaping

Kris,
    I figured on using a bobcat with the auger attachment to dig the tree holes. From what I can remember when I talked with the guys at the nursery that I deal with a lot, the most expensive tree would be around $90 or so, and I'm figuring on the high side, there.

Another thing that I noticed on the plans is that they want the holes dug in a certain way and then they want to trim 1/3 growth off right when they're put in. They did specify guying the trees, so that will be a part of it.

Figuring on the high side of the cost, just for the tress it should be around $2500 cost to me, initially. I lost the prices that I'd gotten from him. :rolleyes:

4. kris

from nowhere

Jeff

I can't price the job for you... only you can do that.. what i would suggest is mark up all your materials accrdingly... then estimate how long you figure to do the job and charge the hourly rate that you have figured that you need to run your business. On the example I gave with the mountain ash... my cost $150.00(hey our tree farm has to make something)..that tree would retail for around $295.00... so you can see that I basically charged them retail price plus $105 for planting it...there where also a bunch of perenials,roses,and potentillas but that was extra and won't get into that...the reason I mention it at all is because without the other stuff I probably would have went $450.00 for that tree.

I would also recommend detailed work sheets for the future..that way you can look back and say "yes I can plant 7 trees in this amount of time etc.etc.... Our worksheets are very detailed with a code for almost everything.... base work..laying stone....sod..trees...shrubs ...how long each piece of equipment was used, tavel time, cleanup..etc this may seem like a pain for the foreman ,but once you get used to it it is not that bad and helps in job costing for the future.

5. CSRA Landscaping

Nah, I wasn't expecting ya'll to price it for me, just give a li'l advice that may cause me to think of stuff that I may not otherwise think of. So far, I'd say this has been 100% succesful.

6. kris

from nowhere

Jeff..

I know you were only looking for advice....let us know how you make out with it.

7. CSRA Landscaping

I'm about to type it up now, Kris. I'll let you know what comes of it.

8. CSRA Landscaping

Just finished putting together this bid ... came out to $17,379 total.

Thanks for the input, folks. :blob4:

9. kris

from nowhere

Did you get the job?

10. CSRA Landscaping

Kris, it's not going to be until the end of fall, so I don't know yet. Just finished putting it together today, it's in my mailbox right now! :D