Putting

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mcwlandscaping, Nov 2, 2005.

1. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Well, now that the sides are on my trailer i cannot bring the eXmark around with me due to the width of the mower (need wider trailer really bad!!!). So i think this weekend im going to put her away for the winter but want to make sure that im doing everything that should be done when putting it away so that in the spring its pretty much ready to go. So my question, what are the things that i need to/should do in order to put my mower away for the season (never had a mower this complex so im totally sure what i have to do with all the different parts to put it away correctly). Im willing to spend as much time as i have to because i really don't want to mess this mower up!! Thanks,
    Mike

(Kinda messed up the title of the thread, oh well, thanks again!!

2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

this is the basic stuff that I do for the mowers
    1. change the oil
    2. change the oil filter
    3. change the spark plugs
    3. change the air filter
    4. do the belts need to be changed?
    5. add fuel stablizer and run the mower for a little bit
    6. grease up the mower
    7. drain and add new hydro fluid and filter if necessary
    8. clean up the mower, even wax it
    9. change the blades
    10. clean under the deck

That is kind of the basic stuff that I usually do

3. mcwlandscaping

Oh ya, forgot to add for all those that don't know, its basically still brand new. Thanks tiedeman for your response. So since it is still pretty much new should i still get new plugs, filters and such? Thanks

4. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I always suggest replacing everything new before winter. I just do it for you won't have to deal with it come spring and deal with the headache of possible downtime repairing that in the spring

5. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

Tiedeman pretty much covered it all. But if I was going to do the minimum, change the engine oil/filter, fill tank completely full and add stabil to the gas. Oh and wash mower and grease it.

6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I leave nothing to chance. Every piece of equipment we own goes to the dealer over the winter.

7. mcwlandscaping

What exactly does that include, and how much does that cost. Deffinatly something i would want to look into due to the limited amount of space i have here. Thanks

8. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Mike

All the mowers, trimmers, hedge clippers, back pack blowers, walk behind blowers, aerators, vacuum systems, hand held tools, etc. This is not for storage but for major, yearly service on this equipment. It runs me about 6 or 7 thousand each year.

9. all ferris

all ferris LawnSite Bronze Member

Just park it and worry about the flat tires, gummed up carb, dull blades, bad fuel in tanks, stinky stuff under the deck, and rusted parts next spring.:p :p
    J/K

10. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

it think tiedeman summed it up very well.