PVB Valve Needed?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Dirt Boy, Jun 26, 2006.

1. Dirt Boy

Dirt Boy LawnSite Senior Member

Have a situation where an install is out in the country feeding off of a well supply. There is no "State" code (that I'm aware of), and my question is; do you need to install a PVB valve on this type of system? Or should you do it as a matter of safety? Can you depend on the check valve for the well, and if there was a break in the line, what damage could occur?
    One other thing to note, is that the area could be subject to flooding in a heavy rain (if it ever rains!!).

Thanks

2. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Better safe than sorry. Even our wells used strictly for irrigation are required to have BF protection to prevent contamination of the auquifer.

3. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

We always install a backflow for liability reasions if we are ever connected to a potable source.

No BF on irrigation only wells and ditches though.

4. Dirt Boy

Dirt Boy LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks, I would rather be safe than sorry, but I was getting conflicting info from a supplier, who I would think know. But ...... then again!

5. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Potable water needs protection. Above ground or below. States will get around to closing any protection loopholes, so you might as well design with proper backflow now.

6. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Install one..you sure can't go wrong doing so..
    but you can go wrong by not doing so.
    Use common sense it is always the best advice.

7. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

On a slightly different note, I'm going to look at one home today on city water, and the guy says it has 2 stub outs and no backflow preventers. Wants price for installing them. Along with multiple other problems.