PVB's

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Georgia Bull Dog, Apr 21, 2005.

1. Georgia Bull Dog

Georgia Bull Dog LawnSite Member
    from NJ

I am located in NJ. I have been installing sprinklers longer than I care to think about. This season I have been getting a load of broken back flows from the winter. Has anyone else been having the same problems. Either my men did a crap job winterizing or the Febco products are having a problem. It seems they have been worse since they went to the freeze protected design. What about you guys???
    Noel

2. Harry0

Harry0 LawnSite Member
    from NJ

No problems yet-We just started turn-ons-we usually use the Wilkens pvb-It was a very cold winter this year.-I am sure we will find a few.
    Harry

3. greenworldh20

greenworldh20 LawnSite Senior Member

noel,

we have had 13 broken backflows...watts that have cracked by the lower ball valve.

go figure.

just a little bit of water did that, i guess. we used to use watts 800 m4fr, but the 'fr' is a joke.

brian

4. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Majority of what is used here is Febco. We replace many ball valves and bonnets due to freezing. I ordered 50 of the 3/4" bonnets, 12 of the 1", 30 ball valves. And we'll probably still use more. If both BVs and bonnet are broken, we replace the whole unit. Replaced 4 PVBs and 3 RPs so far. To be honest, I don't like the Watts or Wilkins. But I know many of you probably don't like the Febcos. Chevy/Ford/Dodge - same thing. It's probably what you were taught in the beginning.

5. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

I've started putting unions on all of the DCVs that I install so that they can be removed and brought inside.

6. greenworldh20

greenworldh20 LawnSite Senior Member

that is a good idea, critical care...never thought about that.

brian

ps with the price of installs in my area (250-325/zone) we would debate heavily about adding another cost to the material side.

but for future service, it would be money well spent.

brian

7. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

WOW!! That is cheap. Is that including doing a full stub out and hanging the BP? I guess I shouldn't be surprised, I know some comapanies will do it for that here also, which is why I only do service. I hate chasing installs at such a cheap rate.
    I know you also have a good/better/best pricing program. About what percentage do you sell of each package?

8. Broker

Broker LawnSite Senior Member

You will see that same pricing in this area.

9. Broker

Broker LawnSite Senior Member

Febco has that new line of PVB's and RP's with unions that are the same price as the models without the unions. You should ask your suppliers to carry them.