PVC Ball Valves

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by PurpHaze, Sep 24, 2007.

1. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

As those that follow this forum regularly they'd know that we've switched from brass angle valves to PVC ball valves for those areas (i.e. basball/softball fields with high speed sprinklers installed for wetting down skinned infield areas for practice/game prep) because of numerous problems with the angle valves being broken... usually from over-tightening.

However, we've started experiencing pitting/scratching of the ball valves in the ball or seat areas leading to weeping. (On some of the balls you can actually see scratching marks.) We're very careful about applying the primer/glue to keep them off of these areas but sometimes doo-doo just happens. We've switched to threaded PVC ball valves now instead of the socket type where glue is applied so close to the working parts themselves. We'll install SCH 80 TOE nipples on both ends of the valves so our glue joints are 6" away from the valves themselves. Maybe this will help?

At one site we've experienced vandalism where someone is leaving the ball valves partially open, thus, flooding areas of the field. That site is being changed out to brass/bronze curb stop valves (NOT cheap) with LW (locking wedge) tabs. You'll need a curb stop key to activate them and then during the off season we'll put locks on the valves so they can't be used.

Here's some pics of the PVC ball valves' pitting. I'll post more on the curb stops when I return to work and we actually make the install.

PVC Ball Valve Glue Problems IV-01.jpg

PVC Ball Valve Glue Problems IV-02.jpg

PVC Ball Valve Glue Problems IV-03.jpg

2. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

3. Would that glue job go under the doo-doo category? Do you guys use brushes or daubers? I like your solution though with the TOE nipples.

4. PurpHaze

5. PurpHaze

Yes it would. It's not one of ours but a doo-doo-gooder installation on one of our varsity baseball fields. However... even as careful as we are we've still had a couple of failures on our installs. Course... we're trying to use a valve that traditionally isn't a repetitive on/off valve... in my opinion.

Dauber on everything. When we put a PVC ball valve in line we really cut back on the amount of glue. Funny thing is that we have as many 3" PVC ball valves in the ground as 1-1/2" and 2" ones combined and have never had a failure with them as of this date.

They've worked out well so far. Only time will tell.

6. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

7. PurpHaze

8. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic