1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

PVC Cement for threaded joints?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by surge, May 20, 2005.

1. surge

surge LawnSite Member

I am curious if you can use pvc cement for threaded joints instead of plumbers tape? The reason I ask is that if an application has pvc female and male threaded parts wouldn't it be ok to use the pvc cement? I could see arguments against it if you are connecting PVC to say galvanized steal or something like that, but from pvc to pvc shouldn't it be ok? Just curious about what you guys think.

2. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Pvc cement actualy melts the pvc to form a bond,the reason you would use a application with threads is so you can take it back apart,

so if you want to take it back apart you would want to use teff tape,not glue.

But if you are useing threaded parts you don't EVER want to take back apart or allow anyone ELSE who may come behind you someday to make a repair to take back apart,then go ahead and glue it.
  3. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Why would you glue a threaded PVC connection? Teflon tape is cheap.
  4. jerryrwm

jerryrwm LawnSite Bronze Member

It's almost a guarantee that it won't leak. (chuckle)
  5. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

You can't tighten a taped threaded joint so it won't leak? Wimp.
  6. Oh...it will leak, maybe not the threaded joint but somewhere else....and boy will someone cuss you for using glue on threads when they go to take it apart. :)
  7. jerryrwm

jerryrwm LawnSite Bronze Member

That was said 'tongue in cheek' wasn't it?
  8. J.Gordon

J.Gordon LawnSite Senior Member

I never really cared for Teflon tape that much, I use it sometimes but prefer a product called Rector seal T Plus 2, http://www.rectorseal.com/slnts.htm
    This stuff is great in my books!
  9. kerdog

kerdog LawnSite Member

There is another recent thread dicussing this similar subject. Look at what your pvc fitting manufacturer says about the use of joint compounds. Spears, for example, warns that some compounds/teflon pastes could contain substances that could cause stress cracking to plastic. That statement was written in capital letters in Spears catalog. FWIW......

See ya----kerdog
  10. surge

surge LawnSite Member

I was just curious if you could do it. I was thinking more along the line of permanently fixing a funny pipe fitting to the main system.