PVC cut flush on backflow, need removed

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by mcw615, Jul 9, 2010.

1. mcw615

mcw615 LawnSite Senior Member

Got a call from a customer needing irrigation repair. Something happenned and was just told the backflow will be on the back porch come fix this week sometime. Never ran into pipe cut flush to the breaker, threaded and cement taped. How do I get it out?
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. WalkGood

WalkGood LawnSite Bronze Member

Post pictures of it.

3. bcg

bcg LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tx

You'll need something like a stub wrench. If you can't find one big enough, then I'd just replace the brass ball valve, they aren't that expensive or hard to replace.

4. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Ark

You can chisel out the pvc. Time consuming and you might end up replacing the ball valves if you damage the threads. Might be best to do the above.

5. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Yup, replace the ball valve. OR - melt the PVC with your torch, and pry it out.

6. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

If its more then 5 yrs old, sell em a backflow.

7. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

I melt 'em out myself. This way I have the torch handy to lite up those fireants too.

You ever notice that when you torch an ant they really pick up speed then suddenly - stop?

8. NC_Irrigator

NC_Irrigator LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

Easy Out.

They come in all sizes, we use them regularly.

9. Some Sprinkler Guy

Some Sprinkler Guy LawnSite Member

Two ways to do this, we fix these all the time.

Heat up a screwdriver with a torch and melt through the remaining male adapter in two places about 1/4" apart perpendicular to the threads. Then tap the piece out with a small screwdriver and the remaining piece of the male adapter can be removed easily.

The other way is to use a hacksaw blade (off the saw) and cut two slits the same way approx. 1/4" apart and knock out the piece.

I have done the top version dozens of times and it works perfect!

Make sure you get paid for you unique on the job experience.

10. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

they make a tool for this, it is called a stub wrench a must have, they come 1/4 1/2 3/4 1" ridged makes a good one. They can be found at the Home depot, Loews, a good hardware store or your plumbing supply house. Buy one and keep it in your service truck