PVC cut flush on backflow, need removed

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by mcw615, Jul 9, 2010.

1. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

running the 2" backwards seems to help me, i'm pushing with my palm rather than pulling with my fingers :)

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

What are you guys using for ratchet cutters these days? I no longer see the Victor cutters at the suppliers.

3. ARGOS

ARGOS LawnSite Silver Member

I do that as well, but when your in a ditch it is hard. Easy when working on the tailgate.

Also I only do one "click" on the ratchet cutter before I start another cut. If I run two "clicks" its tougher.

I currently use apollo for small stuff and plumb pro pirana for larger. The plumb pro are kinda junky.

4. irrig8r

irrig8r LawnSite Platinum Member

I have four Victors in varying degrees of sharpness. My favorite though was the MCC. I still have their 3/4 in. cutters and the blades last forever. Lost the 1 inch a while back. They also made a nice corner wrench and a foot vise.

I think I started a thread about MCC a while back... they were made in Japan.

5. bcg

bcg LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tx

I use the cordless sawzall for anything over 1". Guess I'm just lazy.

6. irrig8r

irrig8r LawnSite Platinum Member

7. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

i prolly work off the tailgate as often as you do, the hard time for me is the winter and i use a heater to keep from breaking the pipe (heat the blade) i also rotate the cutter to score the pipe like the instructions say to do.

all that i have are victor cutters, about 10-15 pair 1" and 2", i use a hand saw and a miter box for larger than 2"

8. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Multiple peices I use a cordless sawzall . 1 or 2 cuts new poly cutters work just fine.

9. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

i observed a lot of different methods and spplications when i was plumbing swimming pools on blanket contracts, some good and some not so.
    i never saw anyone use a sawzall and make a square cut, the cutters don't even cut square most of the time, when making bulk nipple cuts, 3"-6"-9"-12" i used a chop saw with a plywood blade.
    i could make these in the shade at the shop on the ranch every sunday and put them in separate bins for use that week, that and pre-assembling skimmers and autofills with standard nipples and stubouts helped me greatly.
    making a square cut, cleaning and dry fitting, and the proper use of primer and glue, tape and silicone helped me not to have callbacks, i plumbed almost 300 pools in three seasons for one company with only 1 or 2 callbacks.

BTW, a competing company one year had zero problems with inspections and leaks while using wet/dry with no primer and using a sawzall with no regards for straight cuts, go figure :confused:

i've also wondered why a company like rigid hasn't made a cordless pipe saw with a circular pvc blade and changeable heads from 1" to 3".

10. Tom Tom

Tom Tom LawnSite Bronze Member

I do all the time. Use a decent straight blade and go slow.