1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

PVC fitting saver

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by DanaMac, Aug 13, 2008.

1. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Has anybody used these? I never heard of them until last year when tech #2 started working for us. He mentioned it a couple times, and Ewing got a couple in because he mentioned it to them. I finally bought one this spring for him, and watched him use it yesterday on a cracked manifold. Thing work great!! He has used it a few times this year already. It has helped prevent having to rebuild and entire 8 zone manifold just because an ell and pipe cracked leading into the first PVC mani tee. Cored out the PVC to where all I saw was primer on the inside of the tee. We only picked up the 1".

I can't find a good pic or link, but this link is to a plumbing supplier with a couple weak pics.

2. Tom Tom

Tom Tom LawnSite Bronze Member

I've heard of them/seen 'em in the trade mags and probably could have used it several times.

Did you get the setup with the deluxe padded case? :laugh:
  3. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

No, just the single 1". Ewing still has two on the wall behind the counter. Go check 'em out. Before I buy them!!
  4. Tom Tom

Tom Tom LawnSite Bronze Member

Still waiting for them to get my SL1600 in. Its been 2 weeks+ since I ordered it.

Anyone else having problems getting SL1600's?

Ewing had a smokin' deal in July on the SL1600/monitor package.
  5. irrig8r

irrig8r LawnSite Platinum Member

I have 3 sizes. Used to be distributed by Christy's with the name "Socket Saver". I've used them for over 5 years...maybe closer to 10. You need to have the right approach angle and room for a drill.

I heard Christy's stopped selling them (www.tchristy.com) so I bought a couple extras.. I did get one stuck in a tee once when the screw came loose.

I've also used a heat gun to extract broken stubs... carefully.
  6. Dripit good

Dripit good LawnSite Bronze Member

Cool tool. Have'nt seen one before. Looks like a real time saver if you can overcome the point made by irrig8r. Did/do you have a problem with the shavings?
  7. Waterit

Waterit LawnSite Silver Member

No prob getting 1600's here. Love that thing, especially the dual-voltage tranny.

That WAS a great deal in July - "employee pricing" supposedly - $150 for 1600plus an extra mod and the SLW10. It was limited to 2 per customer, so I had some of my buddies that don't use 'em but do buy from Ewing get their 2 and give 'em to me.
  8. evergreensolutions

evergreensolutions LawnSite Member

That pricing is not real far off from what I pay everyday for an SL1600, module, and SLW10. Best controller out there if you ask me.
  9. WalkGood

WalkGood LawnSite Bronze Member

So, what is the reward to tech #2 for his time-n-money saving request for this tool?

10. Waterit

Waterit LawnSite Silver Member

You sure? SL with one mod costs me 131 and change, SLW10 is 142.

So if you're paying "not far off" from 150, you're getting one he!! of a deal. Maybe I need to buy from your branch, even with shipping I'd save some scratch.