1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

PVC for Leaf Vac chute???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by PR0 TURF, Nov 18, 2002.

1. PR0 TURF

PR0 TURF LawnSite Bronze Member

We mounted our leaf vac to our plow frame this year and we need a pretty long chute for our vac to meet our box. Currently we have 8" spiral pipe (kind of like a heating pipe)...not the strongest setup but its worked well in the past until this weekend it began to fall apart. We are thinking of using 8" PVC pipe to run from the vac to the box. We run 2 - 45degree fittings to eliminate one 90deg bend. My question is do you think that the PVC would hold up at the joints with it only being glued together? Would it be able to withstand the wear and tear of occasional sticks & rocks being sucked up? Any ideas besides PVC? I would like to use 8" steel pipe and weld it all together but am thinking that PVC would be about half the price...and half the weight
  2. Just Cut

Just Cut LawnSite Member

pvc becomes brittel when it is cold, I dont think it will with stand the repeated abuse
  3. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

The only 8" plastic (I think it is PVC) pipe we could find for our vacuum is thick (1/4"+?) and HEAVY. I've been looking for years to find light-weight tubing for our vacuums. We used to have a 6" plastic tube, which was very lightweight, but it doesn't fit our present vacuum. We have found that the plastic tubes are very durable for vacuums. It does get brittle in cold weather, I shattered the tip of our present tube a couple years ago on a frigid morning when I dropped it, but if you're moderately careful you won't have any problems.

We are now thinking about trying stove (chimney) pipe. Last year we even tried "sonotube" (what you use to form cement footings), which is treated cardboard, and that worked great for a couple weeks, until the rain finally made it collapse.

If anyone has ideas for lightweight vacuum tubing, I'm all ears!!
  4. HarryD

HarryD LawnSite Bronze Member

5. mowahman

mowahman LawnSite Member

We use 8" Schedule 80 sewer and drain pipe, (greenish/blue in color). On the 11 Hp. Giant Vac set up on the 1 ton, the pipe is a straight shot from the 90 degree turn in the spout to a mount attached to the back of the cab. This way we don't have to remove the tube every time we dump. On the 3/4 ton, we have a modified "sidewalk vacuum" that work well, however, on this set up, we had to modify the short chute and 90 degree bend that used to attach to a bag. We cut and re-welded the angle, then added the 8" Sch. 80 with one 45 degree elbow just above the front of the hood. The tube then goes straight back to the box, mounted into a mount attached to the back of the cab. There is about a 4" gap between the end of the cab to the box. Was all working VERY well until we got 4-5" of snow Sat/Sun. Now, we're contemplating taking the leaf boxes off and mounting the plows to these trucks....I want to get our clean-ups done now, not in the Spring when everything is slimy and gooey.
  6. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

hey tvov, you ever hear of EPPCO? They are a piping company out of newington connecticut. They have any type of pipe you could imagine. They supply a lot of construction sites with pipes for drainage and such. they will probably have something to meet your needs. My vac almost fits into my box. I just bought a piece of stove pipe for the an extra 15 inches or so. Works great so far.
  7. CT18fireman

CT18fireman LawnSite Senior Member

I use that thick PVC and it works very well. The heavy weight helps it last. Mine and ones I have built have been using the same pipe for years.
  8. landman

landman LawnSite Member
    from NJ

I would look at pvc schedule 90 (sewer pipe green in color) or if you have a drainage supplier near you I would look at a piece of couragated 8" black drainage pipe (we use this for drainage and catch basins) this would be a bit more fexlible so it would twist and bend with the movement of the truck and dumpbody when the truck twist while going over bumps/dips in the road etc. plus if you forget to disconnect the pipe when you dump the truck it would flex rather than a solid piece of pie bending and possibly snapping. when we designed the leaf box for our trucks we mounted a 8" straight flanged round adapter from trac vac and then the 8" flex hos slides on over it .
  9. ABS is a lot tougher.

I make potato guns for sh!*s and giggles and abs it a lot tougher under high stress use.
  10. CT18fireman

CT18fireman LawnSite Senior Member

I use the schedule 90. I would never use corragated on a discharge side of a vac. Not very free flowing. Would probably slow down flow and possibly clog.