PVC:I need to learn how your down south

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by CAPT Stream Rotar, Oct 25, 2007.

1. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

systems get down!

OK as you all know I am going down to NC to learn me some irritation pvc style. I was wondering what hints/tips/years of pvcing you can offer me..

What seems to be the hardest trouble shoot for you all?
    What is the hardest part of installing?

Please any type of information is needed, as for once again i will be a pup in the water trade..

thanks in advance.
    CSR

2. The digging is the hardest part....
    PVC---primer, glue, 1/4 turn and hold then wipe off excess glue with rag...this is the exact technique I use on new install, that come with the best warranty in the business, a 10 year piping warranty on glues PVC joints...
    also if trenching you will not want to use some dinky trencher.......

3. bobw

bobw LawnSite Senior Member

just remember that pvc primer is great at disinfecting cuts... got a cut... a little primer will take your mind right off of it...

4. You'll pick it up so fast that you'll wonder what the big deal is. LR is right. Digging is still the hardest part. Backfilling second.

5. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

Get someone to go ahead of you and lay out pipe/fittings. If the job is already dug out, you can FLY in pipe that way. It's mindless in a sense.

6. Wet-n-Muddy

Wet-n-Muddy LawnSite Member

It is extemely easy to hack-glue pvc.
    It takes a bit more time to make a quality joint.
    Check out IPSCorp.com. Look at their training guide and video.

Poly pullers are so used to gouging signatures into their lines when pulling through rocky soil...it may take some time to get accustom to caring for your pipe. You don't want rocks mixing with the pipe. Some people are careful about this. Others don't care. Guess it depends on you will service.

7. melior quam pluvia

melior quam pluvia LawnSite Member
    from U.S.

I like to have a guy make up funny pipe assemblies. Riser T with the funny L and a enough funny pipe to stub up with for flushing. Makes the install go much faster than doing it in the lateral trenches.

Don't let the rain float your pipe...I'm pretty sure that's anywhere though. Nothing worse than trenching, laying pipe to have the rain float it and have to do it all over again. Some area's down here require fully open trenches for inspection. I'm to the point now that the inspectors know my work and allow for just joints to be exposed.

8. melior quam pluvia

melior quam pluvia LawnSite Member
    from U.S.

some areas down here won't even let you backfill with the dirt removed. You are required to bring in clean fill....just for this reason. A rock will tear up some pipe down the road.

9. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

tamp tamp tamp.

10. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

I suppose it depends on soil type, but we fill to 75% of the trench, tamp, soak, and I mean soak it good, let it sit if you can, fill and grade, tamp by foot, rake once more. Then youre not coming back out in a year because the lawn is rutted by the former trenches.

Make pretty manifolds.