pvc or epdm seam adhesive

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by FATWEASEL, Dec 11, 2006.

FATWEASEL LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

What are the choices for adhering two pieces of pvc or epdm liner together? I have seen the black seam tape. Any other choices like epoxies, cement, glue?

I need something to withstand the weather but it won't be used for a pond or pool. The cheaper the better. It's more or less to be used as a tarp.

I tried using 'medium' pvc cement, as in dwv applications, but didn't use any primer on some sample strips of pvc liner. It held 'ok' when stretched as if you were pulling a piece of gum apart but could be peeled apart fairly easily. It only cured for maybe 20 minutes though. Not the chemical bond I was hoping to achieve.

Anyway, got any ideas including types of seam tape???

2. Kate Butler

Kate Butler LawnSite Senior Member

What about the repair tapes used for plastic/vinyl greenhouse covers? Any nursery supply house could point you in the right direction.

from NC

Thanks for the suggestion, Kate. I looked through several sites but didn't find anything I thought would work. I should have specified that if I used tape, it needed to be double-sided and very permanent. It also needs to be able to withstand being handled, flexing, bending, etc... From the looks of the tapes I saw, I don't think they'll hold up.

I DID, however find a really good site for all kinds of tapes with really good prices...findtape dot com, and they happened to have lots of sizes in the double-sided tapes for adhering rubber. However, I still would have to order it and I'm not positive it's the same as the pond liner tape.:cry:

I was hoping someone could suggest an off the shelf adhesive/solvent that would work.

Thanks again!:)

from NC

Anybody else with knowledge of a product (cheap) besides the tape?
  5. fishinman22487

fishinman22487 LawnSite Member

Try Aquascape, I know they have seam tape. Not sure of how much it costs, I know you can get it in a variety of lengths. Hope this helps....

from NC

I know about the seam tape and found a product alot cheaper than the pond supply stores that I think should work.

What I was wondering was if there was anything similar to a brush on PVC cement or glue that would work as good and could be found easily.

7. wysiwyg420

wysiwyg420 LawnSite Member

A/S prices are a ripoff. Do your homework.
    Use epdm sealer tape, need tape primer. Mulehide lap sealer for epdm is good.
    You can use mulehide lap sealer and cover with single side tape. Go to your local roofing supplier. Yeah, it's fishsafe.
    Avoid pvc liner - crap.