1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

PVC Pipe Cutter

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by jcom, May 30, 2006.

1. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

You don't have to deburr poly pipe :p

2. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

But if all you do is poly, isn't that a lot like playing with... Tinker Toys??? ;):rolleyes:

3. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

The valve manifolds are the tinker toys...

4. The burr isn't the issue..it is the ridge created when cutting any pipe with any pipe cutter....I knock it down w/ my leatherman blade....otherwise it pushes all the glue prematurely into the socket...

make sense?

5. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Yup, thats why we use the ridgid bevels.

6. Mr. Vern

Mr. Vern LawnSite Senior Member

Why not just put the glue on the pipe rather than the fitting?

7. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Every documentation I've ever read has reccomended glueing both sides, as well as knocking down the ridge.

People who do it your way, have people like me come back in a few years to fix the blown out fitting.

8. PurpHaze

I've never beveled pipe in order to glue it. I've gone back on exactly three of our glue joints in twenty years. Only time I've ever had to bevel was the time we were using 4" gasketed SCH 40 for a mainline on a project. The pipe was Crestline and their initial bevel wasn't the correct angle (too steep) and the pipe would not go together. After spending the time to cut off their bevel and rebevel then it went together fine. :dizzy:

9. PurpHaze

Burrs I've run into (when sawing)... ridges I've never seen (when using our Klein cutters).

10. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Silver Member

That " weird " cutter works great. And I get them for 13 dollars.
    Real time saver