1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

PVC Pipe Cutter

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by jcom, May 30, 2006.

1. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

That's a common occurance around here on tract homes. Front yards and front irrigation included in the price of the house. Rear and side yards are extra.
  2. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

I've been known to get a can of primer out on repairs, or if the pipe is dirty like Boots says, but on a new install, IPS 725 on nicely beveled pipe and slap it together.

Thousands of successfull glue joints and 15 collective years of doing this don't lie.
  3. PurpHaze

OK... So now we have the sides fairly divided into teams: (1) bevel and no primer vs. (2) no bevel and primer guys? Waiting for other teams to show up and we could get a world cup glueing contest started. As for me I'll stick with what the PVC cement product says to do. :)
  4. P-68 purple Primer and 705 on both the fitting and the pipe with a 1/4 turn and wipe the joint clean. This is the way you can give a 10 year warranty on glued fittings on the piping.
  5. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

What if you both bevel and prime. Heck, I even bevel the inside edge of the pipe (reduces turbulence, supposedly) and the fittings, too, if I'm thinking about it.
  6. PurpHaze

There's always one in the crowd. You win the "Golden Dauber" award.:drinkup:
  7. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Hey I cut clean and apply glue to only the pipe never the fitting and I use Hot Blue Glue and NO primer so whadda ya'll think of that? Ha! too bad.Too much glue is as bad as not enough.Primer is for sissys who don't use good glue in the first place.Bevel ? Oh common gimmie a break with the beveling crap!
  8. PurpHaze

THAT'S the attitude we all fear. :laugh:
  9. I repair a joint like that just about every week from some jackleg contractor that glues their pipe like that. No primer and the wet or dry blue. I don't care if the contractors in my area glue joints like this. Its a $100.00 in my pocket for every repair. In our area the water pressure is in the 100-140 psi range.
  10. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Hayes, give me your address and I'll mail you a pint of IPS 725.

Glue a few fittings together with it at home, wait 60 seconds, and then try to wrestle them apart.

No primer, no bevel.