PVC pipe\fitting price shooting for the moon

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by gusbuster, Mar 7, 2003.

1. I just went down to my irrigation shop earlier this week and was amazed at how much of an increase the prices for pipes and fittings went up. I am going take a hit on this first job that I'm doing but have adjusted my prices accordingly.

I use to get schd 40 pipe for 2.19 for 20 ft length. It's shot up to 3.23 for that same piece of pipe.

Anybody know the reason?? Resin, current threat of war??? I was just shocked of that much of a price increase. .20 to .30 seems reasonable to me,but over $1:angry: in less than 3 months? Have you guys seen those type of increases?

2. Sorry forgot to mention size of pipe. 3/4"
  3. Sorry for to mention size of pipe. 3/4"
  4. MikeK

MikeK LawnSite Member

Just Curious,
    Is it common for people in your area to install systems with 3/4" verses 1"?
  5. Generally speaking, because most installs only have to cover an average 800 sq ft, don't need any more volume going thru the pipe that a 1" or above pipe would give you.

The only time I would bump up my valves and service line higher is when I have call to use rotors. Believe me, it's rare.

When doing irrigation, I strictly stick to small residential in my area. Jobs that I can get done in 1 or 2 days since I do have a residential and commercial maintenance route that I do.

6. greenworldh20

greenworldh20 LawnSite Senior Member

have you seen the price of gasoline and diesel at the pump lately? the cost of a barrel of oil has increased almost $10 since last year.

all irrigation material is made from some form of plastic. oil is a main ingredient in plastic.

we have recieved notices from all irrigaiton suppliers that pipe and fittings will increase.

ahhhhh, such is life.

my advice: pass the increase along to your customers. we are now including a fuel surcharge this season. even if 50% of our customers balk at paying it, we still got the $$$ from the other 50%.:)
  7. I just didn't think that the cost would rise that much due to current situation.

As far as passing on the cost, I had already given this one estimate and will stick by it, but the rest, I have already adjusted my prices for later jobs.

I do know how much gas cost since the San Francisco Bay Area has the highest gas prices in the nation. Current price for mid grade is on average $2.33 but can be higher if you go into downtown SanFransco or by freeway gas stations. Theyre predicting a possible $3.00 and over by May or the war starts. This time of year, the refineries are switch over to summer gas which cost more to produce supposedly.

I've seen my fuel cost from last year to this year jump by more than $200.