PVC Pipe under patio, Sewer pipe or sch 40 4"

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by CrewCutEnterprises, Jan 2, 2008.

1. CrewCutEnterprises

CrewCutEnterprises LawnSite Senior Member

I need to run drains from my gutters under my patio. I would assume sch 40 but all the nds drainage stuff works better with the sewer pipe.

Is the pvc sewer pipe. (thinnner than sch 40) going to hold the weight of the patio and the cr6 on top of it?? Thanks.

2. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

they make adapters, the thin wall stuff works good, but if you're putting in permanent patio or such I'd spring for the sch 40, we always use it under drives and such, it's overkill sometimes but better safe than sorry.

3. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

Anything will work, whether it's schedule 20 or schedule 40. Sewer and drain pipe is schedule 20.

During the winter months we install septic systems. So 4" pipe is something I'm all too familiar with :)

Schedule 20 (your sewer and drain) can hold 2,000 pounds. So in terms of a patio - YOU ARE SAFE! Schedule 20 is used in deptic drain fields and with 12-inches of soil over them - we drive over with with skid steers and small dozers all the time.

However, something to keep in mind is cloggage.

When use use PVC pipe with our hardscapes I always take into consideration cloggage.

If there is a chance leaves will get into the roof gutters and work their way into your buried pipes - you wanna use schedule 40. This way if the buried pipes ever clog - a plumber can run a snake through them and open them up without shattering the piping.

If you know beyond a shadow of a doubt that there is no chance any debris will ever find it's way into the piping - then use schedule 20.

4. PatriotLandscape

PatriotLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MA

schedule 20 is a 2000lb crush? interesting.

5. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

i should qualify my previouse post, it all depends on how deep you're going. if your grade allows for the pipes to be deep you can go w/ the cheaper pipe, shallow pipes will have greater crus risk, and good post DVS

6. ZX12R

ZX12R LawnSite Senior Member

I would go with schedule 40.I used schedule 20 once,never again.

7. lawnscapesLLC

lawnscapesLLC LawnSite Member

schedule 40 gets my vote too. I have used it under concrete floors with 4" of dirt over top of it and never had a problem, and like dvs said a plumber can snake it no problem if there ever is a clog. And if I remember right I don't think the price difference is that great either.

8. CrewCutEnterprises

Ok Im going with the 40 and then ill couple it to corrugated drain though the yard so Ill wont create too much run off, and I have several hundred feel of extra. Also If I need to use any NDS drain basins later I can tap into it at any time.

Also. Should I lay cr6 under around and then tamp with tamper or jumping jack prior to tamping cr6 base for patio??

9. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

I would not use the jumping jack tamper.

10. CrewCutEnterprises

oh ok. Ill just use the plate compactor. Im taking my ICPI class in january. Does anyone have some pointers or hints to take with me or what. :) Im excited.