PVC Shark Bite fittings.

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by JeffInTexas, Mar 19, 2013.

1. JeffInTexas

JeffInTexas LawnSite Member

I stopped by a trade show today at a local parts warehouse and saw these there, pretty awesome stuff. The guys who had the booth pressurized a piece of PVC to over 1100 pounds(yeah, I didn't believe it either until I saw it.) with the fittings on both sides. Other fittings blew from anywhere around 850-1000. No glue, and doesn't matter if the water is running. All they have right now is 1" and 3/4", but said they should have larger sizes soon. I'll post pictures tomorrow, I forgot the fittings in my buddies truck when we left.

Has anybody else seen these or used them yet?

2. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Platinum Member

I used them to replace a spigot at my home. I had to cut the pipe (copper) going to it and then solder in a new pipe to the new valve and then as I noticed under the house I couldn't get all the water out of the supply line so I just used one of these. The guys at the supply house told me its possible to repair while under pressure but I don't know about that. It was easy putting copper to copper while still wet.

3. JeffInTexas

That's what they told me also. They had slip fixes, 90s, T's. Was just curious if anyone had field tested these things on a active line. I'd like to start using them some, still a little skeptical if they hold out over time.

4. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Platinum Member

I wouldn't want to do a complete install with them as they are pricey but as an item for fast repairs yes. Mine has been in play since last summer.

5. JeffInTexas

Good to hear.

6. kandalawncaremgr

kandalawncaremgr LawnSite Member

I use them on water heater installs, beats sweating in pipes but there pricey

7. txirrigation

txirrigation LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Make sure they are rated for constant pressure. I hear they are about $4 a pop.

8. kandalawncaremgr

kandalawncaremgr LawnSite Member

We get them from the local hvac supplier. There 3.95

9. JeffInTexas

These were from a new company I think then because the guy told me 1.25/fitting.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

All the new "quick-connecting" fittings depend entirely upon an O-ring seal, so you have to ask yourself how much confidence do you have in that O-ring. If the fitting price goes way down, how goes your confidence in them?