1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

PVC Valve Bad???

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by mowerman90, May 14, 2002.

1. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

I've got a 12.5 Kawi engine that is on a Toro Walkbehind. The machine has sat for the last 3 years in the garage waiting to be used as a backup. It never was and now I've decided to sell it. Here's the problem, when I last ran it I turned off the fuel shutoff and let it run itself dry for storage. This weekend I decided to start it up and get it ready to sell and it started right up on the second pull but only ran for about 30 seconds befor stalling. Upon removal of the air cleaner I discovered the reason was that after it's started (about 15 seconds) there's a white plastic tube that goes into the carb (apparently a PVC) and after the 15 seconds it POURS gas and I think oil into the carb and stalls the motor. It'll start up again, but after 15 seconds here comes the flood again. Does anyone know what this is caused from and how do I fix it.
  2. bwiesner

bwiesner LawnSite Member

Don't start it again!!! Check your oil level in the engine. Sounds like the carb. is leaking fuel by the inlet needle and flooding the crank case with gas. Get you a new inlet needle and take some tooth paste on a q-tip and clean the seat and replace the needle. Be sure and get all the tooth paste out. Oh, use white paste type and not a gel. Good luck. Later Butch
  3. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

Most any carb thet has sat dry for 3 years needs to be rebuilt. Your positive crankcase ventilation is not the problem. Everything shrivles up like when us guys come in from a cold swim!
  4. Vibe Ray

Vibe Ray LawnSite Senior Member

Then run some listerine through the system via the fuel tank! That'll take care of all that stinky exhaust! .....j/k