PVC versus flex pipe / or both?

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by mdvaden, Jun 12, 2006.

1. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

This partially pertains to the creekbed I'm going to do, but the pipe thing pertains to other water features too.

I've done all mine, so far, with the black flex pipe.

But I'm thinking about using Schedule 40 PVC for waterfeatures where the water needs to be sent 20', 40' or more, away.

The friction loss is close to zilch with PVC.

I probably will use a bit of both, if I switch - a little flex and a lot of PVC on the long run.

Does anybody have any preferences for their pipe from the pump?

2. n2h20

n2h20 LawnSite Senior Member

i try to use the largest diameter pipe i can no matter what.
    i have seen the flex pipe blow right out of a fitting several times so i get kind of leary using it when there is alot of connections. i will only use flex when i have a weird configuration or angles or on sand filterssince the filter valve never lines up exactly the way it was before i cleaned the stupid filter...

3. FANS

FANS LawnSite Member

I've used it on some pool installs and it's great. You can make sweeps instead of corners, don't have to be as nit picky about placement and it takes out a lot of vibration. I get my from Aquatic ECO in Apopka FL.

4. drsogr

drsogr LawnSite Bronze Member

I like the flex pipe as there are less connections to potential leak.

5. Waterscapes By Design

Waterscapes By Design LawnSite Member

I will use flexpipe only when it is a small connection, such as in ponds, or watergardens. If im going more than 5-10' I will use PVC. I fell that as long as you take the time to prime and seal it properly at all connections ya never really have to worry about them coming loose.