Q-36 dust control modification - photos

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by *LB, Jun 12, 2008.

1. *LB

*LB LawnSite Member

Hi Everyone,

I was having problems with a lot of dust blow-out in the front of my Quick 36. It got to the point where I had to wear a dust mask. A friend of mine helped me put a baffle on the front of the deck that has improved the situation quite a bit. I thought I'd post some photos in case anyone else is having a similar problem.

The solution was fairly simple. Weld four bolts to the bumper - fit rubber baffles (truck mud flaps cut to size) over bolts - fit flat steel bar stock over rubber and cap it with a washer nut. I'm going to trim the top of the rubber down to size, but leave enough that I can adjust the height of the baffle to suit conditions. As it is now, the rubber baffle hangs about 1.5 inches below the deck. It cut way down on blow-out in the front and didn't negatively effect the cut at all.

IMG_0673.jpg

IMG_0674.jpg

2. abcfamily

abcfamily LawnSite Member

Did the same idea to my 36" TTHP Helped a bunch!

3. zemzabob

zemzabob LawnSite Senior Member

Nice fix there.

4. Yater

Yater LawnSite Senior Member

How does it work? I get my butt kicked by that stuff thrown up in front. I also have to clean/change the prefilter every day because of it.

5. *LB

*LB LawnSite Member

The rubber baffle hangs below the front of the mower deck by about 1.5" inches, so that it brushes the grass in front of the mower. Any dust and grass that used to get blown out from under the mower deck now hits the rubber baffle and gets re-directed out the chute or back into the lawn.

It may cause the mower to "plow" leaves in the fall, if that's the case I have a slit in the rubber that allows me to loosen the nutwasherand and adjust the height of the rubber baffle as needed.

6. rlong97150

rlong97150 LawnSite Member

Running high lift blades was causing multiple problems with my Quick 36. The grass out the front of the deck was just an annoyance. What was driving me nuts was the buildup of grass under the deck. It would actually get to the point where it wouldnt discharge any more. Forget about running the mulching plate. I figured I would give it another try before I set it on fire so I cleaned the deck and installed the Gator blades. Totally different mower now. No buildup under the deck, almost no blow out from under the front of the deck, better dispersal of clippings, fills the bag better, and is much quieter. The only thing I havent tried is the mulch plate. Will give that a try once the grass slows down.

I think given the size of the deck, the high lifts provide way too much vaccum and it screws with the discharge.

I do like your mod and will certainly look at that again once it dries out. Right now, I only get a little grass out the front, once it gets dusty I might change my mind

Thanks

Bob

7. BUCKEYE MOWING

BUCKEYE MOWING LawnSite Bronze Member

That is SWEET !!! Nice work

8. deere615

deere615 LawnSite Fanatic

Does it still stripe? Thanks:waving:

9. deere615

deere615 LawnSite Fanatic

By the way, nice fix. That and the hand grips are the 2 most major problems. How have you guys fixed your hand grips, I have triedspray glue, spray paint :confused:

10. BUCKEYE MOWING

BUCKEYE MOWING LawnSite Bronze Member

Try the new grips that BOP has.....