1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Q for PAR users

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by Mike M, Dec 17, 2007.

1. Lite4

Lite4 LawnSite Gold Member

I use only the GE pars. I have had some mixed results with longevity. I have a stretch of road in a development that has around 175 of em. It is interesting to watch the different life spans of the bulbs under nearly identical conditions.

2. Mark B

Mark B LawnSite Bronze Member

I tell them to keep them clean, and keep an eye on them. When the beds remulched/pine needle make sure the fixtures are clean. I do not bury them in the bed either, just to keep them up higher then the bed.

Are you saying that you do not use well lights at all. Or you just use the covers.

3. irrig8r

irrig8r LawnSite Platinum Member

FX has a fairly new one with a grate at a slant too. Haven't tried it yet, but it looks like it might work. Comes with an 8,000 hr. rated xenon PAR 36 in 20W or 35W.

http://www.fxl.com/products/product.htm?id=90

[​IMG]

4. JoeyD

JoeyD LawnSite Silver Member

http://www.uniquelighting.com/product_pages/well_lights.htm

We make a host of different wells with different options. We too had a thermal breaker but like the NS product they tend to fail before ever detecting the heat they should be protecting against. We loved this concept though. If they can get them to last they are very handy little devices for preventing flare ups.

Bottom line is that if you install a well it needs to be maintained and kept clear of debris. Grate or not depending on whats piling up and what wattage lamp is in the light it will smolder and could ignite. I prefer a completely sealed well light like our Apollo or Apollo Star. The Apollo Star being the best. Our Apollo series well lights cpme with lens options to soften, spread, or Narrow the beam as well as a Hex louver to diffuse glare.

5. INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting LawnSite Platinum Member

I have been using Nightscaping Vermeer fixtures for inground applications for a few years now. ( I have a few Intense Lighting fixures in too) and have been very happy with their thermal management. They are a sealed, cast brass fixture that uses MR16 Lamps (not PARs).

In many jobs I have installed these in pine needle laden forest floors with no issues at all. (tinder dry in the summer)

I have used the Nightscaping thermal breakers on a few occassions and have never yet had one fail.

Have a great day.

6. NightLightingFX

NightLightingFX LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with Tim and Pete. That is exactually where I use Pars. And it seems to me they last longer also. I only us GE.
    ~Ned

7. JoeyD

8. Mark B

Mark B LawnSite Bronze Member

Ok I will bite.... Why only GE?

9. JoeyD

Flame sealed, water proofed, stronger contacts that dont snap off, better availability, more options in terms of wattage and beam spreads.

We have tested, Ushio, Sylvania, and a host of chinese made brands all of which could not compare to the GE, not even close.

10. extlights

extlights LawnSite Senior Member

I agree, we only use GE also. Now those thermal breakers are just plain junk in my opinion. We used to use them, but had so many problems with them that they just cost us too much money on service calls. Maybe it's our climate area? We do use a lot of well lights, but never had any problems with fires or anything else. If you know when and where to use them, you should be good. I'm one of the few firm believers of PAR's on this board....I love that lamp.