Q for Parbies

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by Mike M, Dec 24, 2007.

1. Mike M

Mike M LawnSite Bronze Member
    from usa

I'd kill for some good comparisons on PAR wells.

I want to try the unique 125's with the debris grate on the glare-shield side, but I was told the rubber gimbals can get melt-stuck to the lamp. Has anyone had this happen? I could speculate it's happened from improper install with a 50 watter, or with a heat-containing lens/cover.

Mike M

2. nate mullen

nate mullen LawnSite Member

they are not rated for 50 watt lamps. They are a good vaule well light with a 5 year warrenty. in black or brown. brown is the best. they can also stack. My old rubber gimble did not have the right UV package......they do now.

3. Mike M

from usa

Thanks, Nate.

Is it 5 years because the rubber dry-rots from the heat, etc.? If so I'll just use wells with the steel gimbals, like on the 225's.

4. klkanders

klkanders LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

Hey Mike,
    I have done some R & R on some of the Unique 125's....no problem with the rubber gimbles. They had the debris guards also with 35W lamps.

5. Mike M

from usa

Well then you and I are looking at the same thing. I'd rather use 40-50% 125's and the rest nice brass stakes & specialties, in leiu of going with aluminum to try to reduce costs.

The ABS composte wells are what, 15 year? While the 125's are only 5 year. That bugs me. Why are the 125's in the warrenty class with aluminum? Does the heat weaken the PVC housings, or is there a prob with the rubber gimbals?

I agree with you that the 125's seem really usable, 25' leads and they have those daignol debris grates. I don't see anyone else with diagnol debris shields. Kichler doesn't even have leads.

Cast has PAR wells (which I wasn't even aware), but they don't have the diagnol debris guards.

I have the 125's in my demo kit. The rubber gimbal is not quite a substitute for the stainless steel adjustables, but the cost is very low.

6. irrig8r

irrig8r LawnSite Platinum Member

Have you checked out the FX one I posted a pic of the other day?

7. Mike M

from usa

I don't remember seeing that! I went to see on the FX site. You mean the CF 35? That looks great. Slanted, glare guard & debris shield, etc. I have no idea what they go for, or about their PAR.

8. Mike M

from usa

Oh, just went back to the other par thread, I remember it now. You haven't used one yet though, right? Unique and fx are the only companies I see with the slant-side grate.

9. nate mullen

I can't have a lesser expensive well light with the same warranty...........The F225 is a better light hands down.........it also comes in brown...you do have to buy a grate ..................I have the F225 cans injected molded with a special compound for heat and UV. Its also has a patented gimble ring.

10. nate mullen

One more thing....................Don't let the 5 year warrenty fool you. The F125 should last forrever.