Q. For those with Irrigation Tech. & Van

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by JimLewis, Aug 14, 2006.

1. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

For those of you who have a Full Time Irrigation tech. (e.g. someone who's FT job each and every day is to repair irrigation systems) and who work out of a Van or Enclosed Trailer or Truck that is stocked with parts, here's my question for you;

Do you charge for your time when you have to leave a jobsite and go get a part that you don't have with you in your van?

Just curious how others deal with this. We do bill our customers for this time because we stock 95% of what you would find in most irrigation systems. But there are all sorts of obscure parts that we don't carry. So I figure we try our best to stock most of the stuff, and if we have to go get something obscure, we're gonna charge for that time.

2. Flow Control

Flow Control LawnSite Bronze Member

It is not a charity. Charge them, you have to. Like you said you have 95% of any fittings needed. Each service truck has a couple of K in material that we eat until it is used. But you don't have that lil fing fitting that Joe Blow thought was what the how to book said to do it. My favorite is 3/4" pvc in a 1" poly market. If by chance the contractor that installs this shat from the Strongsville in Ohio is reading this, please.............. keep your customers happy or switch over to the 21st century installation trends. Sorry got carried away there for a moment.

3. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Out here... you'd be the weird contractor with your poly. :)

4. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Silver Member

90 percent PVC here , poly is the bad guy in this area

We charge for travel time if we have to run for odd parts

5. JeffY

JeffY LawnSite Senior Member

If it's something we normally stock and happened to run out of and forgot to stock up with in the AM, we don't charge for the travel time. But for odd parts or things that need to be ordered, then we charge for the travel time to get it or the return visit if the part it not in stock.

6. Flow Control

That surprises me I would think we would have similar weather. Once you get north of Cincy and Columbus it changes from PVC to poly.

7. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

If it's odd parts, yes. If it's typical stuff that I ran out of, no. It is tough to stock every single part out there. We still have AVBs here that are in place as if they were a PVB. And there are all kinds - Champion, GEE, Rainbird, etc. Or the occasional valve that if I was to replace the entire valve would be a nightmare, but just the solenoid or diaphragm would be 30 minutes if I had it. This time of year when things are slow(er), I will try and replace the part with something newer and more standard. When it is spring ad I can't waste 2-3 hours to replace one valve because of poor design/installation, I'll re-schedule and pick up the odd piece when I am at the supply house for other things.

8. speedbump

speedbump LawnSite Member

Since I'm originally from Michigan but have lived in Florida for 25 years, what do you guys find breaks easier. Poly or PVC when frozen. I always thought Poly held up better, but that was way back when PVC was grey and brittle as hell. Has that changed?

bob...

9. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

It's not often I see split poly. PVC, copper, brass ball valves and BFPs, and sprinkler head bodies are much more common. I think I've seen 2-3 poly splits due to freezing this year.

10. Flow Control

I have only seen poly split twice. On the other hand we fix pvc every year due to freeze damage. Do you own a LCO or irrigation company in Florida?