Q on Hand Held Edgers

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by pricejs, Jan 18, 2008.

1. pricejs

pricejs LawnSite Member

Anyone use the edgers that you hold like trimmers?
    I always thought those you push on wheels would provide a better finish.
    welcome thoughts on the topic.
    Cheers

2. Birdjr

Birdjr LawnSite Senior Member
    from nnj

I have an echo that we use, a lot faster to use the stick edger then the wheeled version. The push edgers have more power so we usually do the first edge of the year with the push. Then we maintain the edges troughout the season with the stick edger.

3. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

If your only going to buy one edger, get a dedicated one not a stick edger. I have a dedicated edger that we use on customers properties in spring then rest of the year we maintain with string trimmers and it has been working fine for us for over 15yrs.

4. Tanaka

Tanaka Inactive

And if you buy only one dedicated edger....

http://tanakapowerequipment.com/index.php?section=181

-MW

5. echeandia

echeandia LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't use a string trimmer to maintain the edge. It looks terrible after a while as the string cuts a 1 inch swath. A stick edger will give you the most bang for the buck.

6. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

Ive always run a stick edger. They are faster and edge better than a trimmer. Very few yards do I do with a trimmer. Echo, Shindaiwa, Stihl are all good...get one your dealer supports.

7. SNAPPER MAN

SNAPPER MAN LawnSite Silver Member

I use both a stick edger and a trimmer for edging. Last year the trimmer was mostly used but this year I am going to start to use the stick edger on everything because it is faster and looks better.

8. tamadrummer

tamadrummer LawnSite Bronze Member

Right now I use a stick edger or all edges, hard surface and soft i.e. flower bed and tree ring edges.

This year I would like to get a walk behind edger for the new edge cuts. It is really a pain in the caboose to cut new edges on over grown St. Augustine!!! That stuff is tough!

Don't use a trimmer, the stick edger looks great and is simple to use.

9. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

You must not know how to maintain an edge correctly with a string trimmer then. Mine all look fine just the way they did when we used an edger.

10. Eakern & Dog

Eakern & Dog LawnSite Senior Member

In my opinion, it really depends on your needs, the type of lawns and the types of customers you have. I had a great Stihl stick edger and loved it until it got ripped off last summer. It was fast, accurate and easy to get used to. However, on new yards where edging had never been done before it was a bear to use on bermuda grass and I had wished for a push edger. I'm debating replacing my loss with a push edger along with a Stihl Kombi weed eater/edger back up or just getting another dedicated stick edger. Oh ......the decisions..........the decisions.........