1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Q36 Deck Pitch

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cwmiller928, Mar 2, 2007.

1. cwmiller928

cwmiller928 LawnSite Member

So i got my new quick 36 Samurai and i was wondering whats the Best striping pitch? because its adjustable on the little walkbehind, i want to have it set right.
    I've never had to bother with my stander with the R/H adjustment.
  2. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Well, I hope someone who has actually cut with one will come along to clarify this... but I'm going to give you my theory in the meantime.

I have not cut with the Quick 36, but past experience tells me that mower decks using short blades tend to be more sensitive to deck rake.

Let's just take this for example... a 1/4" rake on a 21" blade...

Now think of the rake as if it were a roof pitch.
    That's 1/4" rise in 21" of run.... not much of a pitch angle.

Now, with that in mind, consider that your Quick 36 blades are only 12 3/4" long.

To set this machine with 1/4" of pitch is way different.
    1/4" of rise in only 12 3/4" of run.

With that said, and going on past experience, I would suggest running nearly a dead level deck pitch. Nothing more than just a hair low in the front... which may be what you achieve by setting equal adjustments on the machine. And if not, a slight air pressure adjustment should suffice.

Figure out where it CUTS the best first and worry about striping as a secondary thing.
    Any mower can be made to stripe magnificent with a little 'after-the-fact' enginuity.
  3. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

I actually run mine with the factory specs for deck pitch. I've thought about experimenting with dropping the front end some but I just don't have the time to fool with it.

Now, I did buy the striping roller and I have to admit, it makes very visible stripes no matter how you cut it. :)