QAC or QAL help in California

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Portmax29, Nov 4, 2007.

1. Portmax29

Portmax29 LawnSite Member

Hello all, I was wondering if someone can help me pick which one is best for me. I’m somewhat lost on which one I need. I would like to add the service of fertilizing and spraying (just round up and weeds on lawn) to my customers here in California. Which one would I need, the QAC or QAL? What is the difference between the two? Has anyone taken the test here in California, if so, do you still have your study guides? I know here in California I have to have ether the QAC or QAL and then I need to get the Maintenance Gardener Pest Control Business License before I start applying these services. Do I get them both at the same time? Thanks for all your help.

2. PHS

PHS LawnSite Senior Member

It's been awhile but I think you want to get the QAL. That allows you to make your own recommendations and apply chemicals as well as supervise other employees if need be. Sorry I can't remember exactly what the QAC covered but I never knew anyone to take that exam so I think it is pretty limited in terms of what it allows you to do.

The Laws and Regs part of the test is going to require some studying. It's not terribly difficult but you won't pass unless you study. The practical part of the test I thought was a cakewalk. It seemed like if you knew the difference between an aphid and a caterpillar you could pass the test :). Basically the exact opposite of the test here in LA. Easy regs, practical more difficult.

3. Portmax29

Portmax29 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the info PHS. Do you know any good websites where i can start looking up and study?

4. PHS

PHS LawnSite Senior Member

Port,

Here is a link: http://www.cdpr.ca.gov/docs/license/liccert.htm

Looks like the QAC is if you run a landscape maintenance business and the spraying is incidental to your work. QAL if you're supervising others and/or responsible for the operation of a pest control business.

You can download and print the study guides somewhere on that site.