QB: Statements to invoices

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Lefet, May 5, 2011.

1. Lefet

Lefet LawnSite Bronze Member

In quickbooks, how do you turn a "statement" into an "invoice". Say for mowing, you make multiple stops during the month so you create a recurring statement. At the end of the month, how do you turn that statement into an invoice? The statement charges don't reflect the tax owed, makes it look like an overpayment.
  2. GreenerSide

GreenerSide LawnSite Member

From what I know about QB is you can only make invoices into statements. Not the other way that you are trying to do.
  3. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I never use QB Statements, unless I need to provide a detailed transaction list for the season. A statement will reflect all Invoices and Payments. This is useful to help somebody sort out a missing payment. I rarely need this -- perhaps one time per season.

For routine monthly billing, I use Invoices. I've described my procedure in many other LS threads, but will repeat it here for completeness. I think your question is about reoccurring visits over the course of month, with a billing sent at the end of the month. This is my standard way of working, and may be what you are asking about.

On the first visit of the month, I open an Invoice. I make the date of Invoice to be the last day of the month. The customer information is filled in my QB.

I have a layout of Date, Description, Item, Amount, Tax across the top of the table. The Date is the date of service. Description is copied in from a Memorized transaction, from the Item list. I create an Item for each customer. It is a sub-category of Grass Cutting. The Item is mowXXXXX, where XXXX is the customer name. When setting up the Item, the Amount is filled in, as well as "taxable."

The daily task then, open the Invoice at the beginning of the month, fill in the Date, move to Item and pick from the popup list. The Amount, Description and Tax will be filled in from the proper Item. This insures that the proper amount is always tagged with the customer. There is no chance to put in a wrong Amount.

I then Save the Invoice.

Next week, after visit #2, I open the Invoice for the specific customer. It reappears with one entry. I click Date, and enter the date, move to Item list, and pick out the appropriate mowXXXXX, just as for the first entry. Again, the Description, Amount, and Tax fields are filled in by QB. I do a Save on the revised Invoice.

Visits #3, #4, and #5 (for five week months) are done the same way.

When the last visit of the month is done, and the last entry is made, then I Print, or Send the invoice. It goes to the printer, or goes to the customer via e-mail (from the address provided for the customer).

After Print/Send, I to Edit dropdown menu, and find Mark as Pending. I click and Pending is watermarked across the Invoice. I click on Save. The Amount due for the customer will show as $0.00 for the Pending Invoice.

When the Payment arrives, I open the Invoice. I click on Edit drop down menu, and click on Mark as Final. The Pending status disappears. The I click on Receive Payment. The new window opens, and I fill in the Amount the customer paid (usually the full amount), the date, the check number. In the Memo, I add #YYYY, MMM ZZZZ, where YYYY is the Invoice number against which the Payment is applied, MMM is the month of the Invoice (e.g. Apr, May, Jun), and ZZZZ is the year. I do this because if a Statement is required, this information from the Memo field is part of the report. It is easy to tie the payment (check number) to the Invoice (invoice number).

This sounds much more complicated than it is reality. The basic idea is to open and Invoice, make entries each visit, and then print/send it out at the end of the month.

BTW, I used a customized Invoice, with a tear-off (bottom third is torn off, returned with payment). the customer sees Date, Description and Amount. They do not see the Item or Tax column.

Does this help? Ask if you have questions.
  4. Lefet

Thanks, I was kind of figuring that since I've tried every which way but Sunday and still can't figure it out.
  5. Lefet

Thank you Roger for your very detailed explanation. Although I did do a search prior to asking my question, I failed to find your answer. Either way, I appreciate you taking the time to repost it in such detail. When I get home today, I'm going to print the statement, then create an invoice as you suggest, add the information and if everything works out, proceed to deleting the statement.
    I will let you know how I fair.
    Again, much appreciation for the reply.
  6. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah, you should be creating an invoice, not a statement to start with. What I try to do is enter my invoice info every week. It always seems to take longer if I wait until the end of the month. Besides, I don't want to wait until the end of the month to know how much revenue I've generated.

I create a "pending" invoice for each customer and then just keep adding to it for each service date as the month goes on. In the reports function I pull up a report of pending invoices and sort them alphabetically by customer last name so I can find them easily. At the end of the month I review and finialize them all and send them out. The only time I send statements is when the previous invoice hasn't been paid or the customer is confused about what they paid and what they owe.
  7. Lefet

Thanks Darryl. Just got home and printed the statement. Going to go back and print everybody's statement, create invoices off of them and then delete the statements. It was QB that told me (in one of their tutorials) to do the statement for recurring monthly charges. Little did I know it was going to mount to this. Either way, it's the first month so I can get it straightened out. A little time consuming but experience is the best teacher. Thanks for the help.
  8. Darryl G

No problem. Once you get things set up, QB is nice. What trips me up is having to do all the detailed expense entry. I always know how much I've invoiced and how much I've been paid, but until I enter all the checks I've written and my credit card charges I don't know if I've actually made money. Finding time for that is tricky sometimes.
  9. Lefet

How do you keep the date for the invoice? I have to manually go in and change the template for each and every invoice. There should be some way to save a template of what you're working with correct?
  10. Darryl G

I know this is directed to Roger but you shouldn't have to change the template. I make the date on my invoice the first of the month following the month that I'm billing for. I just click on the date and change it to what I want. On my invoices I have colums for the service provided, the quantity, a description of the service, the service date and the amount. The subtotal, sales tax and total due are shown at the bottom. What I enter my info on and what the customer sees are actually different. My rate shows up on my entry form but not on their invoice. The customer only see the total. At first I used the Intuit Service Invoice template that comes with QB but have since modified it quite a bit.

What I do is create my invoice and then save it as pending. If you save it as a regular invoice it will show as accounts receivable, which I don't want since I haven't sent it out yet. I then pull it up and add to it as the month goes on. I can easily find them all by pulling up a report of my pending sales. I then sort them by my customer's last names. When I'm all done entering all my charges for the month I go thru them 1 by 1 aphebetically and check them, finalize them and print and/or e-mail them.

It's pretty hard to explain this kind of stuff here. If someone could just sit down with you for a few minutes it would all make sense quickly. I suggest that you ask around your local network of friends and see if any of them are proficient in QB and willing to sit down with you for a bit. Setting it all up right to begin with is important. Editing everything after you screw it all up is time consuming (yes I know from experience, lol).