1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Quack grass in new sod??? Questions???

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Kidder, Sep 21, 2010.

1. Kidder

Kidder LawnSite Member

I just did a soil and sod job where I installed about 50 yards of top soil and about 3000 square feet of sod. After about a month the customer calls me back and said that the sod is full of quack grass. I went to inspect the job and see that there is a large amount of quack grass and it appears to be straw like. What can I do as a contractor to fix this problem. I have heard about people putting roundup on the blades of the quack and overseeding the lawn. As a contractor what should I do? Even though the material supplied to me seems to be the problem. BTW I have determined that it is the soil and not the sod because I used some sod for home it my yard turned out perfect.

2. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

There is no selective that will get rid of quak grass. I guess some type of roud-up/gly would be your only option. Definatly an unfortuneate situation.

3. DeereHauler

DeereHauler LawnSite Senior Member

1800 posts and you can't spell licensed correctly?

4. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

Are you sure that it is quack grass?

5. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

Agreed.

I have one property I maintain that is nothing but quack grass. The only real dead give away was the rhizome runners I kept coming across when digging. Otherwise it just seemed like a weedy grass in the beds and the lawn looked like a naturalized lawn.