Quack grass in ornamental beds

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Woodland, Aug 26, 2006.

1. Woodland

Woodland LawnSite Member
    from Maine

I have several properties as well as my house that have been overrun with quack grass throughout the planting beds. I've been pulling as much as I can and spraying what comes back with roundup with moderate success. Problem is, I can't spray what is growing around the plants, thus I inevitably leave behind some roots that happily sprout into new plants. I also have a large hillside planted with juniper that I use a string trimmer to try and keep the weeds down. Any thoughts on a selective, grass only herbicide that I can use around the plants. I did see that ortho has a product called "Grass-B-Gone" at my local nursery but it is only available in a spray bottle (I need a whole lot more than that!) I've done a bit of searching and come up with a few names (i.e Fusilade II with gluaziprop-butyl). Anyone used any with good results?

2. olive123

olive123 LawnSite Senior Member

fusiladeII kills grass in ornamental plantings works good. Its systemic and is rainfast in an hour. Look up the label and see if quackgrass is on it.

3. tdkx

tdkx LawnSite Member

Or check out Sethoxydim G-Pro.

4. Woodland

Woodland LawnSite Member
    from Maine

5. olive123

olive123 LawnSite Senior Member

try cdms.net

6. AlpineNaturescapes

AlpineNaturescapes LawnSite Member

Fusilade works on quackgrass fairly well in heat, and will be fine with juniper but not all perennials like iris like it. A good option in cooler weather is HiYield's grass killer. Same ingredient as poast.

7. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

8. Grandview

Grandview LawnSite Gold Member
    from WI

Poast will work. It might take a couple applications. Roundup can be used around plants when they are dormant. I have sprayed pines and spruce in fall and early spring with Roundup.