1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Quackgrass and K31 everywhere this year

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by DA Quality Lawn & YS, May 7, 2013.

1. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

This year I believe takes the cake. KBG and fescue suffered mightily with last year's drought, and then again with this year's late ending winter.
    I am seeing an awful lot of new lawns that are absolutely infested with K31 and or Quackgrass. People asking do I treat for that stuff. Me "no, cannot remove from your lawn unless you want to Roundup and renovate" That usually scares people off.

I have never seen these two grassy weeds so bad as this spring. Makes me sick really. Anyone else?
  2. CL&T

CL&T LawnSite Senior Member

We're infested with poa annua this year. I believe it's because it's been so cool. Normally it should die off with summer heat.
  3. jbturf

jbturf LawnSite Bronze Member

orchard grass here as well, yes its frustrating, perhaps mostly when customers are upset and ask why they have so much crabgrass--despite my best efforts to explain sometimes they just look at me like I got 10 heads
  4. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Offer to remove it using a sod cutter shovel and patch it with sod. 60 dollars an hour of course...$70 if you have to sweat or use any skill or knowledge.
  5. maynardGkeynes

maynardGkeynes LawnSite Senior Member

K-31? How does that get there?
  6. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Maybe someone can enlighten me. But the crap spreads. I believe it starts out in lawns as a cheap contractor seed OR a weed seed amongst the good KBG/Rye, etc.

Why anyone would use that junk for a lawn is way beyond me.
  7. jad004

jad004 LawnSite Senior Member

I am covered with poa and rescue grass this year. Don't have a clue why it's so bad this year. Also, lots of k 31 clumps scattered every where. Been through over $2000 worth of revolver already this year.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  8. maynardGkeynes

A lot of clumpy looking stuff is actually TTTF. One reason I have stopped using TTTF is that if the stand gets thinned/stressed, it gets wide-bladed, prostrate, and clumpy. Looks like a darker K-31.
  9. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

Homeowners buying seed at Menards? Absolute worst place to get your seed. Alot of people tried to repair their drought strickened lawns last fall and bought junk seed.
  10. maynardGkeynes

Most consumers think K-31 is a type of KBG. The government would do more good than anything if they prohibited the use of the word "Kentucky" on anything except bluegrass and Bourbon.