quackgrass

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by earthandturf, Feb 6, 2001.

1. earthandturf

earthandturf LawnSite Member

Is there anything that will get rid of quackgrass?

2. Northwest

Northwest LawnSite Member

Roundup

3. Russ

Russ LawnSite Senior Member

If you don't have a lot of it, a 2% solution of roundup applied with a eyedropper can be effective.

4. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

I BE DONE SEEN EVERYTHING,WHEN I SEE A ELE
    I MEAN, SOME QUACK GRASS.New one on me.

5. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

I would try using a crabbgrass pre-emergent with pendomethylilum(sp). Then I would apply at the next app in 6 weeks a post emergent.

This should help.
    Kris

6. morturf

morturf LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

Quackgrass is a perennial. It is no relation to crabgrass. Some misdiagnose it as brome or "watergrass" the famous catchall. It is a noxious weed in most states. It is hard to get rid of without total renovation (roundup). Even then it will come back sometimes. I have seen the rhizomes on one tuft of leaves go 30 or 40 feet. You think you have killed it all but missed one strand into a neighbors yard and back it comes.

When I renovate a quackgrass area this is my way and the customer has to agree to the way I do it or find someone else. They have to understand that it is a 6 week process. This way works for me and has for many years.
    Kill it in July. Wait for a week to 10 days and go back to get the ones I missed. Then I have the customer water (a few days after the spray) a few times to force the stuff that is still alive in ground to grow back. Go back and kill it again. By doing it late in the season I don't have to worry about annual weeds germinating and the time is right for seeding.

best of luck

7. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

Each application is a "total kill" by using round up. Is that correct??? Because if that is the case then I have been misdiagnosing for several seasons. GRRRRR

kris

8. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

I USE A MIXTURE STRONG ENOUGH FOR BRUSH AND
    THERE WILL ALWAYS BE A FEW SURVIVORS.