Qualified Employee or a basic laborer ???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Doc Pete, Jun 25, 2002.

1. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

I ran into an interesting situation on the Hustler forum and thought it's a worthwhile topic. Actually the thread was suggesting "limiters" be put on riding mowers to keep the employees from mowing too fast and or dangerously.
    OK, the question is, or better yet, my theory is, a "Qualified" employee should be knowledgeable enough to weed whack well, run equipment correctly and competently, and have good judgment.
    I realize there are newer employees, but a good boss would not allow or put these employees in a situation that might cause a problem. So, what are your thoughts??? Do you employ good "Qualified" employees, or do you have the type that don't know which end the weedwhacker to pull to start it??? And, if they don't know how to "start a wheelbarrow", do keep them out of harms way???
    Thanks,
    Pete

2. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

Jeepers, here I thought this was a good subject to discuss, and you guy's would rather explain what kind of Peanut Butter you put on your lunch sandwiches.
    Pete:blob3:

3. No help here, strictly solo.
    when I hired people in past it was only on a temp basis (day labor) doing clean up/loading/wheel barrow etc.
    I'd run chain saws, tiller, whatever and let help do other, learning curve for 1-3 days just not safe-
    never had anyone run equipment besides 21" and Billygoat vac. and then with me in sight.

Crunchy PB for me ;)

4. wolfpacklawn

wolfpacklawn LawnSite Member

When I hire someone I am not that interested in lawn care experience. I'm looking for dependability, responsibility, somone who looks good and won't scare my customers (body piercings, tatoos etc.). I can train them on how I want things done and how to work the equipment. They become qualified after they have worked for a while for me. Until then I "keep them out of harms way" as you say.

5. yergus

yergus LawnSite Member

before i turn them loose on a customers lawn, i train them on my own lawn. most of lawn care can be learned in less than twenty minutes, especially mow and trim, then speed comes with experience. i do not turn them loose with a walk behind until they have gained experience on my own lawn as well. you can generally tell if a person is really trying or if you are wasting your time in only a few minutes