Quality counts

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DennisF, Nov 4, 2003.

1. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

I had to share my experience this past week with lawnsite members. As of today I aquired 6 new high end accounts starting in 2004 from referrals given by several of my current customers. Every one of the new accounts said that they liked my attention to detail and the level of quality on the yards I currently maintain. All of them stated that it was not that they were unsatisfied with their current LCO's they were just more impressed with my work than their current LCO's. I'm not writing this for bragging rights, I just wanted to point out that if the quality of your work surpasses your competition it will pay big dividends. It pays to go the extra mile to produce a high quality result.

2. precisioncut

precisioncut LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with you. I do this part-time so it's not my entire income. I focus alot more on the quality of the work than the productive end of it. To spend a few extra minutes picking up the last of the leaves that droped or blowing off a little more of thier walkways than they pay for is worth to me to make them happy with my services. I hope that this attention to detail will always be with me. It's what sets one LCO apart from the other.

3. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

Thumbs High Dennis!! Great job man.

Nothing makes it ALL worthwhile like having these type of compliments accompany our workmanship. Just one more reason why its so important to Look Professional ->> Act Professional and ->> Be Professional in this biz.

4. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

That all sounds good in theory, but when you start doing this full-time (if you ever decide to) you'll have to compete against guys like yourself, that seem to enjoy just being outside and doing it, more so than actually doing it for a respectable income. Not to beat you up with my comment, but doing it full-time puts a little different perspective on it than just some side money. Those little freebies you talk about can become quite costly when things are a little more serious in life than just extra money. Taking a hit on jobs can add up quickly. Not that quality should be sacrificed by any means, our company is continually growing and we do nice work as well, but it now becomes more challenging and trying at times to get the money you actually need to run a business in this industry. You have to focus a boat load of more time and skill into selling your work, than actually doing it. I guess that's what really excites me though, is the thrill of landing the sale. The excitement and happiness that you see in the customer, when they are happy with their decision in companies and the new friends you make along the way. I've encountered some great people in the last three years, a handful of jacka$$e$ as well too. I guess it's just trying to find the balance in the mix.

5. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

Randy brings up a valid point about the "extra" frills that can easily be overlooked when accounting for time.

Say you spend just an extra minute or two to do that little bit extra overkill on any given service and this becomes a habit. By the time you factor getting back to the truck or double-checking your double-check ,,, now you've spent close to an extra 5 mins.

No BIG deal until you do the math. Take that 5 mins (x) the 15 accts a day avg most solos do and your at 75 mins (x) the normal 5 day work week and NOW your up to 61/4 man hrs of FREE labor.

Still you might be thinking ,,, Hey, This Is No Big Deal ... Its Solidifying My Customer Relations. Well take those relations and (x) them by the avg 8 mo season and NOW your giving away 200 man hrs.

Do you realize that kind gestures such as this might cost you in excess of 4 WEEKS LABOR!!! over the course of the season ,,, I dont know about you -- But I have YET to meet a client or clients worth donating a MONTHS FREE TIME.

Just some food for thought.

6. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

:drinkup: More power to ya Dennis, makes you feel good when your efforts get noticed doesn't it.

7. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

THe guys make a good point about the 5 minutes adding up to a large number at the end of the week.....BUT...if your prices are just a little higher than most of the competition, you can cover the added few minutes on each property. Another reason to do the best possible work is ....CUSTOMER RETENTION. THink about what it costs you to lose a customer and replace them...a new estimate, learn the property, learn the new customer' hot buttons, do they fit as well into your route as the old one did.
    "Spoiling" a customer, in most cases, creates strong customer retention, and , it provides less risk when you need to do a price increase. Nearly all of my new commercial/residential come from customers who have seen our work. And once we start working for them, we rarely lose one, or have a problem with them.
    For me, customer retention is key to a healthy, long term business...of any kind. Just my opinion.

8. AztlanLC

AztlanLC LawnSite Bronze Member

This is turning up to be a good post.
    If you can mix the ideas of Randy, Kunturu and Garpa you would have the ideal business model.

My toughs have always being charge for every extra minute you spend on the property, get paid on time and do a good job.

Sometimes I trow freebies and go the extra mile, but I know which customers would appreciate it and not take advantage of it.

9. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

this is the first time randy has said anything that is correct. good goin randy, ill write this on my calender. nov 5th, randy said something smart. ok, done

10. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi Dennis,

Congratulations on your success! Do you have any pics of your lawns?