Quality cutoff?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jocko1104, Aug 30, 2002.

1. jocko1104

jocko1104 LawnSite Member

I do alot of residential lawns in the $25-30 range.

The problem is not the mowing which takes around 20 min, but the trimming wich will take around 20-25.

Is there a point when you just have to cut the quality a little to make profit? Say edge every other week?

I just feel terrible if I know I left a lawn less than perfect because I cut corners.

2. rkbrown

rkbrown LawnSite Senior Member

I assume you have mostly St. Augustine in your area like we do here. Cutting corners with edging or trimming every 2 weeks rather than once a week will definitely hurt quality. If you are not making what you want per hour, I would rather raise prices than let quality suffer. You may lose some accounts, but will probably be able to make up for them with higher quality accounts.

My sister lives about 1/2 mile away from me. I do her yard and a couple of others in her part of the subdivision. A group of ladies were out on the street talking one evening. One of them had recently moved in and asked if anyone knew a good lawn service. My sister did not speak up immediately, but one lady (who doesn't know that it was my sister that was standing there, too) said, "I use a guy who is a little bit higher in price, but the results are great." My sister reported this to me that night. Bottom line is that quality will get you good accounts.

3. LAWnENFORCER

LAWnENFORCER LawnSite Member

I am with RKBrown on this one. I feel that quality work is one of the best ways to advertise. How many accounts do you have and what type of equipment? When I first started, my estimates were based mostly on the amount of turf to be mowed, but now I look at the trimming and edging first. This has helped me increase my profits and figure my time on the job.

GOOD LUCK NEIGHBOR

KB LAWN SERVICE
    Central TX

Kevin

4. dforbes

dforbes LawnSite Member

keep quality raise prices

5. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

When things are tough, that is NOT the time to cut quality.

6. Like all the above have said-do a quality job, raise the price.

7. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

sometimes im tempted ,especially w the real old ones who are getting a bit more like children every day, an want to tell me, to just do whatever cost the least . but not yet anyway. i just aint leavin a lawn without doin the basics the best i can. since it started raining ,its been a job ,getting these folk used to cutting often enough. my answer is to just tellum ,ill have to charge exstra ,or double,
    if we cant get on a regular schedual again.

8. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

At a gas station you get to choose regular, mid-grade, or premium.

I only sell premium.

KB

9. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

Its all about professionalism, which is quality. If you do quality work then you definitely will not have a problem raising your price. People will pay for quality.

10. TurfGuyTX

TurfGuyTX LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW

Everyone's right about quality. One thing I'd mention is that your time for edging/trimming is a little longer now than it will be later with much more practice. Repitition will cut your time down, while increasing your quality. (to a point) Good luck.