Quality Employee Retention

Discussion in 'Employment' started by BAMSLandscaping, Aug 28, 2013.

1. BAMSLandscaping

BAMSLandscaping LawnSite Member
    from MD

This has probably been asking a ton but I can't seem to find the thread. For a very small operation, how do you retain the guys (good ones) you hire during the season to come back the following season? I am losing a lot of good talent (mostly during the initial interview) because I can't provide the hours they are seeking when things slow down. I have thought about going to a salary type deal but it's basically just the same they would make during the season averaged out over 12 months... I am located in MD so snow removal doesn't provide much during the winter except some storms here and there.

Any advice would be appreciated?
  2. Sprinkler Buddy

Sprinkler Buddy LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

You can't, if you can't feed them year round, you'll always be looking for new help each season.
  3. maelawncare

maelawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I always offer a come back bonus and a pay raise. They stay on unemployment during the winter to "get by" then come back and get caught up with the bonus. Works good for me.
  4. BAMSLandscaping

from MD

Good idea on the return bonus thanks

GOATMAN GEORGE LawnSite Member

Its tough. Fact is you have to compete for employees just like for contracts. You need some commercial accounts that are year round & can at least offer reduced hours in winter.
  6. whiffyspark

whiffyspark LawnSite Fanatic

Where you at in Maryland?
  7. Jenncolawn

Jenncolawn LawnSite Member

Hey maelawncare
    What amount of a comeback bonus do you offer and what is the hourly wage of those employees
  8. BAMSLandscaping

from MD

Lower Montgomery County
    Posted via Mobile Device