1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Quality equipment

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by rywnygc, Jul 20, 2011.

1. rywnygc

rywnygc LawnSite Senior Member

I NEED to buy a hedge trimmer. I am a die hard Stihl guy. All of my handhelds are Stihl and so are my personal chain saws. My question is, since I only use hedge trimmers a few times a year, should I go all in and buy a Stihl, or will a homeowner brand like poulan or craftsman do the job? I would hate to buy a cheaper model and have to replace it in one or two seasons.
  2. ny scaper

ny scaper LawnSite Member

I have the HS45's and love them. They are considered heavy homeowner / light commercial and have worked wonders for me. Little hard starting initially, but runs like a champ after first start up. They done have the pricetag the commercial hedge trimmers by stihl have so may be a decent alternative.
  3. castlerockmo

castlerockmo LawnSite Senior Member

I'm a die hard husqvrana guy, but I have a few things stihl. I second the Hs45, I also have one and runs great. The craftsmen,weed eater, poulon are all made by poulon. I had one could not kEep it running well so I bought the hs45.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  4. rywnygc

Yeah, I have used the hs-45 and have been looking at them. I will probably go with my gut and get that. They are easy enough to find used.
  5. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Fanatic

I had some 45's for awhile, they were nice till I went with the 81's.
  6. rywnygc

right, I just dont have the need for an 81.
  7. bassplayer7

bassplayer7 LawnSite Member

The HS-45 can cut through some big stuff! I have really liked mine. It does get heavy over time.

I haven't had the problems with starting it but have noticed trouble starting some other Stihl equipment (which we have A LOT of). It's great stuff.:weightlifter:
  8. bobcat48

bobcat48 LawnSite Gold Member

I have a ryobi and let me tell you it works good got it last season didnt like using a cord one black and decker one and it works really good blade size is 22'' have really no need for a extended one if i do i will get a hedge trimmer attachment for my husqvarna,like i said not really doing alot of bush trimming at the moment,and its great poulan and craftsman are nice..its a good hedger for the price.
  9. Leroy_1

Leroy_1 LawnSite Member

Stihl or Echo get my vote.
  10. StihlMechanic

StihlMechanic LawnSite Bronze Member

HS45 with a 24 inch blade is what I would get. Seen tons of them used commercially with no complaints, I have one, too.