Quality hardscaping...

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by mrusk, Mar 21, 2011.

1. wurkn with amish

wurkn with amish LawnSite Senior Member

Honestly the curve could be lived with. Not a big deal. Also Zedo isn't the one with gravel it was another Ontario scaper that does( did) that. Zedo incorporates boulders........
    I don't understand why Matt ran the downspout line thru the patio( last pic) when it could have easily been run on the outside. that bothers me more than the curve
  2. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

Easy guys, he didn't win the lotto and we don't need to be jabbin all the time. That gravel (river wash we call it up here) you're referring to is only temporary, the man was on a budget and softscape is coming in May. :)
  3. JJfishes

JJfishes LawnSite Member

WTF is with, there is a right and a wrong way. Are the other 922 responses as informative as this one. I have never seen any reference in spec books to building steps in this fashion. I have been in this business for a long time also, went to school for it, keep up through seminars etc. Everyone with 20 or less posts isn't a f-ing hack. It was a simple question to find out the reason for it. Try kicking the dog once in awhile, you might get the same feeling of importance as you do with your wise ass remarks. Because there is a right and a wrong way... Please
  4. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

Its called "pedestal method", I haven't used it yet and to be quite frank I don't think I will, I wouldn't call it right or wrong. I would give it a try but only if there were an alternate block that was cost effective. Also most of the steps we do have some sort of a curve to them and unequal tread widths so it would be a real challenge to say the least.
  5. JJfishes

JJfishes LawnSite Member

Thanks zedo,

Nice response, understand the principle and agree about the cost effectiveness.

Thank you
  6. greatinmulchbeds

greatinmulchbeds LawnSite Member

Zedo, I believe its ep henry that makes a filler block thats really cheap for that method. You can get it 4,6, and 8 inches thick, your right about curves that would be tricky
  7. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

The pedestal method is a massive labor savings. If you guys only knew how much block we used as filler block on this job.

For those who don't use this method, what do you do? You run the compactor behind each step or use a hand compactor?
  8. SVA_Concrete

SVA_Concrete LawnSite Senior Member

we use 57 stone
  9. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

Some folks deer hunt from the ground, some deer hunt from a tree stand.

There is more than 1 way to skin a cat.

The pedistal method is not a bad method. It's alotta block, and that block needs leveled :)

And neither is using gravel, a bad method.

We use gravel. And probably always will. And then again, we have never built as many steps as the one's in Rusk-A-Roni's pictures, and I doubt we ever will.

10. kootoomootoo

kootoomootoo LawnSite Platinum Member

The Colosseum called......they want their steps back.
    I use the pedestal method more often than not.