Quality Leads

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Bobcat s250 NY, Mar 7, 2007.

1. Bobcat s250 NY

Bobcat s250 NY Banned
    from texas

Has anyone ever used Service Magic as a lead referral service? Ifso what was your experience with them? Thank you in advance for your response.:usflag:

2. hollywood

hollywood LawnSite Member

The company I worked for used the service two years ago. They did provide plenty of leads, but most were tire kickers. Alot of people just wanted prices, not the reason for why our prices are what they are. This made me think they were price shopping. Unless you really need the work I would advise against it. Word of mouth has proven to be our best referral yet. Just my 2 cents.

3. STL Ponds and Waterfalls

STL Ponds and Waterfalls LawnSite Bronze Member

Craigslist.com has been a surprisingly good lead generator for me this early season. It's a free website but it can be a lot of tire kickers also.

4. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

I would definitely agree with this. Their not the cheapest either. When we tried them, there were months we were spending upwards of $800+ per month. After we got alot more strict with our qualifying leads, we would turn away a good majority of their leads. :)

5. Hokie84

Hokie84 LawnSite Member

I just started with them last fall. I have recieved 9 leads. The first one was completely bogus- fictitious address, email, and phone number. One was for work unrelated to our category- the homeowner was confused as to what a paver patio was. Of the other seven, I have only closed one and that estimate started at $13,000 and closed at $2,900. However, I just missed closing on a lead that would have been our largest project to date.

6. hollywood

hollywood LawnSite Member

Paponte-
    I think you hit the nail on the head regarding qualifying the leads better. In hindsight we should have qualified them better and it would not have been such a waste.

Hokie-
    I feel your pain. We had a lead that was talking about retaining walls, pavers, waterfall etc. Patio alone was gong to be around $7,000 which turned out to be more than his budget for the entire job.

I guess Service Magic isn't totally to blame. They can't control the info they are given by individuals looking for landscape contractors.

7. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

No way would I pay for a lead.

Thats like buyin an ocean front property in Arizona.

I DO however, pay commissions for jobs sold. And I only pay the commission after the job is complete and final check is in hand. You give me a lead. I'll price it. If sold - I'll gladly pay up upon completion. Thasts how sales people are paid - at completion. One home improvement contractor got me a lead for a 3,000 sf pool deck. He got a $500 cash commission for steering that job my way.

8. kootoomootoo

kootoomootoo LawnSite Platinum Member

9. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

10. neversatisfiedj

neversatisfiedj LawnSite Bronze Member

The potential customers I get with service magic is crap lately. I keep turning my leads off.