Quality Leaf Rakes

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jcthorne, Oct 17, 2007.

1. jcthorne

jcthorne LawnSite Member

Where can you buy good quality leaf rakes. I'm tired of the having to replace rakes constantly on my trucks. My guys continuously brake them and I'm to the point where I don't think its their fault. This cheap crap they sell at Home Depot and Lowe's just doesn't hold up in a commercial setting.

I've looked at Tractor Supply, Northern Tool, etc. and haven't found anything that makes me think they are any better than what the box stores stock. I'd rather spend $30 bucks on something that will last than have to interrupt my day to take supplies to a crew who doesn't have a tool that will last.

2. gl1200a

gl1200a LawnSite Senior Member

Here is the link you need. These are made by a fellow out of Des Moines, Iowa (or close by there). They are the best rakes you'll find anywhere. He was at the Expo in Louisville last year in the same booth as Meg-Mo mower blades.

The only mistake I made at the show last year was not buying a couple of these rakes. I'm getting two there this year for sure.

http://www.meg-mo.com/groundskeeper.html

3. leeslawncare

leeslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I buy mine from sears crapsman .life time warranty...break the crasman out of them .the tip is buy several an take them back every day!!!!

4. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I bought a couple of metal tined rakes about three years ago. They have been used heavily, from leaf cleanup to trimming cleanup, and other assorted activities. The tips of the tines are about half worn off (see pics below), but the handles are still good. A few of the tines are a bit worse for wear, but the rakes still work pretty well. I would recommend these rakes.

Here is the link (both old rakes and new ones):

http://www.amleo.com/index/item.cgi?cmd=view&Words=a22

And, here are the pics:

IMG_1608.JPG

IMG_1610.JPG

IMG_1611.JPG

IMG_1613.JPG

5. NMS0219

NMS0219 LawnSite Senior Member

buy the sears. Lifetime warranty cant go wrong their.

6. DuraCutter

DuraCutter LawnSite Senior Member

Do you use blowers? We find that our rakes seldom get used anymore.

One of my guys today said a good blower replaces 3 or 4 guys raking. He's right.

Of course you need a lot of blowers if you have many workers. We have 10 backpacks that also do snow in winter.

:)

7. baddboygeorge

baddboygeorge LawnSite Bronze Member

I haven't bought rakes in years , I buy the metal tine 10- 14dollar range at home depot with a 15 year warranty . All I do is gather my rakes ,show em the receipt an wal - lal new rakes . I have done this I know 4-5 times with never a problem! see ya George

8. TheChiefsLawnCare

TheChiefsLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

has anyone tried the blades that he is advertising?

9. jcthorne

jcthorne LawnSite Member

Thanks for the suggestions.

I do use blowers as well. I have BR600's and Billy Goat 13hp Force blowers, but leaf rakes are also necessary in most applications. I make my guys use rakes in heavily landscaped mulch beds because I don't want all of the mulch blown out over the course of the winter. I also don't like seeing leaves bunched up at the base of a shrub because my guys were strictly using blowers.

10. Scagguy

Scagguy LawnSite Bronze Member

I forgot the name of the rake, but if you have an Ewing Irrigation Supply house near you, they carry some good rakes. They look very similar to the Kodiak that was in post #4. It's probably the same rake, just a different name on it.